203w ago - The MAG PS3 blog has unveiled Beta 5.0 statistics today, and PSNAtHome.com has spotted an official confirmation from Sony's Jeremy Dunham that the release later this month (January 26, 2010) will not have a mandatory PS3 HDD installation required.
To quote: "I have a question, will MAG require a Mandatory Install or will it run off the disc?
Jeremy Dunham replied on January 14, 2010 at 5:14 pm
Ye olde disc."
MAG Beta 5.0 Statistics
Here's what we have:
• Before the end of the beta on January 10, there were well over a million downloads (860,000 in North America alone) of the MAG beta client worldwide.
• Of the 619,000+ people who gained at least one point of experience, 52,846 of them qualified for Squad Leader, 10,249 people qualified for Platoon Leader, 3,181 warriors made it all the way to OIC, and a mere 143 diehard soldiers made it to the level 60 experience cap.
• The breakdown of PMC preference ended up like this: Valor - 38.7%, Raven - 37.2%, SVER - 24.1%
• Who won the Beta 5.0 Shadow War? Despite their smaller...
208w ago - Zipper Interactive's Sr. Community Manager Jeremy Dunham has posted up the official MAG PS3 box art today on the PlayStation Blog alongside some statistics from the MAG Beta.
To quote: We've been exceedingly grateful to those of you who participated in our MAG beta tests over the last several months and couldn't be happier with how everything turned out.
Naturally, with the end of our beta cycle, comes the countdown to our final release on January 26, and what better way to start that countdown than to reveal the final, "official" box art that you'll find in the United States and Canada. Have a gander!
Pretty sweet isn't it? Yeah, we like it too.
Now that you know what to look for in the future, let's go back to the past for a moment and talk about some interesting information we gathered over the last month.
• More than 42,000 matches were played over the course of the full public beta (August 17 - December 5).
• During October's beta period alone nearly 534,000+ miles were traveled in-game by MAG players each week.
• During the final month of the Beta 4 and 4.5 periods (November 9 - December 5):
Of the more than 65,000 players that logged on, 17,000 of them qualified for Squad Leader, 3500 people qualified...
256w ago - I won't be able to transcribe my interview with Microsoft entertainment president Robbie Bach (who oversees videogames, amongst other things) until tonight, most likely.
But between my talk to him, Microsoft's keynote last night, and Sony's keynote today (which included a section with PlayStation topper Kaz Hirai talking videogames), I got a few interesting statistics worth comparing:
- Number of worldwide members of Microsoft's online videogame service Xbox Live: 17 million. Number of registered accounts on Sony's competing Playstation Network: 17 million.
(Even though there are substantially fewers PS3s on the market than Xbox 360s, Sony does have the advantage of people going onto PSN from the PSP. In addition, PSN is free to play online, but Xbox Live costs money, though anyone can "join" just to browse downloadable content)
- In the last three months of 2008, Microsoft added 3 million Xbox Live members. In December, Sony added 2.1 million Playstation Network members.
- PlayStation Network users have downloaded more than 330 million pieces of content. Microsoft's content downloads went up 70% since it launched the new version of Xbox Live in November (not comparable, I know)
- Over 25 million "Halo" games have been sold and the average...