118w ago - Yesterday Sony addressed PS3 circumvention devices, piracy and PSN bans and today PS3 hackers SKFU among others via ArsTechnica have reported on potential security risks for PlayStation Network users.
To quote: While I read about the big ban tsunami and interesting papers like PSN.PDF (Mirror). I gone through a funny theory, I won't publish any details tho:
1) The bans are based on the users' account and console ID's.
2) We can modify all traffic sent and received by the PlayStation 3
What if some skiddies start to modify their sent traffic to appear as another user and use backups?
The PSN servers would recognize the TOS violation and check the online user database for known connections based on the ID's. The user and his consoles who really owns the ID's would be banned.
Even a simple Windows application which goes through ALL ID's may be possible. 24 hours and any console worldwide would be...
119w ago - Today SCEE Senior Product Manager Chris Weatherhead has outlined Killzone 3 PS3 Open Beta update issues and solutions from Guerrilla Games.
To quote: It's less than a week since the Killzone 3 Multiplayer Beta hit PlayStation Store, but already you've racked up some impressive numbers.
There's been a staggering 62 million - million! - kills, of which around ten per cent have been Brutal Melee kills. Some 400,000 games have been blitzed through, with well over half a million players appearing on the Killzone 3 leaderboards.
And two of those players have stormed through the one million XP barrier already. The Helghast don't know what's hit them.
Your dedication to the cause hasn't gone unnoticed over at developer Guerrilla Games.
Far from it: the team has been working around the clock to analyse and act upon your feedback. Below you'll find a round-up of issues discovered thanks to your hard work, and the solutions that Guerrilla is working on to refine your experience:
High level issues discovered:
• Connection problems
• High load caused the database to fall over
• Score posting
• Flickering screens
• Ribbon stats not updating
121w ago - Update #2: Sony has now served Gitorious with a DMCA takedown notice for PS3 hacking related repositories which have subsequently been removed.
Update: Now Sony is targeting other PS3 hackers via YouTube and Twitter, as new documents reveal they also plan to subpoena PlayStation 3 hacking related Web sites.
Following legal action against GeoHot, today Sony has sent out DMCA takedown notices to sites hosting PlayStation 3 developer files including California-based Github, and as a result the PS3 hackers have now mirrored the removed files on Norway-based Gitorious.
Those seeking to read Sony's takedown notice can do so HERE, with the violation citing "Trafficking a device that circumvents effective access controls, and/or Trafficking a device that circumvents effective copyright protection...
135w ago - Today SCEE's James Gallagher has detailed some recent Red Dead Redemption Hunting & Trading Pack issues that users may be experiencing due to an incomplete PSN upload by Sony.
To quote: It has come to our attention that an incomplete version of the Hunting and Trading DLC for Red Dead Redemption was uploaded to PlayStation Network; we apologise for any inconvenience.
This issue has since been rectified, but anyone that downloaded the pack before it was fixed may be experiencing the following issues:
• Days in game reset
• Missions cannot be started and/or do not reset for retries (user is always told to come back the next day)
• Gang hideouts empty with message to return later
• Some hideouts not recognized as gang hideouts and others say "please come back later"
• Buffalo herd not spawning
• Savvy merchant does not register that you have bought stuff in all gunsmiths
• Herb nodes do not reset and some nodes of all type are empty
• Mission markers gone from map and/or being told to come back after a particular time even after waiting over 24 hours
• The user cannot get back up after falling off a cart during a crash.
• When exiting multiplayer, the game saves but does not return to single-player
136w ago - A few weeks back the MAG 2.0 PS3 Patch was released and some users reported freezing issues as a result of the update, but today Chris Roper has announced that the 2.01 patch update should remedy them.
To quote: "The release of MAG 2.0 represented the culmination of months of work on our end and marked what was easily the biggest collection of overall improvements to the game since its debut in January.
Not everything was perfect, however, as some users have reported freezing issues since MAG 2.0′s release, but today's 2.01 patch should clear most everything up.
It's a short, but sweet, update that aims to fix a handful of important stability issues, and also adds in a couple voiceover messages. Enjoy!
Patch v2.01 - Available October 13, 2010 | 34MB (TPPS)
• Voiceover plays when vehicles are extracted in Acquisition
• Voiceover calls out sensor abilities when mortar battery is down
• Various stability improvements"