159w ago - Today NZHawk has shared on his blog (linked above) what he calls a little find, specifically how to place PS3 apps into different PlayStation 3 XMB categories.
To quote: "Well I was talking to DarkHacker about param.sfo files and that. He asked me to try changing the CATAGORY string to 'HM' and see what it did.
It made the package install under the PlayStation Network catagory on the XMB. DarkHacker and I then worked out the rest of the catagories that its possible to install and run hombrew applications to the XMB, and found them all except Users, Settings and Friends (which all seem to be filled with the XML files in the VSH flash folder).
String / Category HM / Playstation Network
CB / Network
HG / Game
AV / Video
AM / Music
AP / Photo
AT / TV
I thought this was quite interesting, and would be great if we could add a Hombrew catagory to the xmb and make all hombrew apps install under it to make some hombrew standard, much like the wii has. (Also has anyone though about making a database of hombrew Title IDs to keep track?)
Oh, and its possible to change this location after install via application settings."
Thanks to PSGroove for the news tip and to Jes03 for posting this a...
163w ago - Normally we don't cover MAC stuff, however, today Marcello from PensieriDigitali.com (lupin4 on our site) let us know he has made available a guide detailing how to upgrade PS3Break firmware via MAC OSX (AT90USB162) for PS3 JailBreak users.
To quote: This procedure has been tested only with PS3Break 1.0 key (atmel chip) and do not guarantee that work with other key (in theory just change some parameters).
How to flash a PS3Break 1.0 with MAC OSX:
New method (thanks to ScotthishCpt) with this procedure you do not install anything because ScotthishCpt built a self-contained SDK, and when you're done, just unmount the disk image without trace or driver in the system.
1) Download from HERE the modified version of Avr8_sdk.
2) Double click on (AVR8_SDK.dmg) and mount the volume (avr8_sdk).
3) Browse to Applications directory in the volume.
4) Launch SDK TERMINAL.
5) At this time insert the PS3Break key in the usb port in DFU mode (click the upgrade button immediately after it's inserted).
6) If the key is correctly in DFU mode the green light should be off, you can...
Below is the video of Uncharted 2 Gameplay Footage on PS3 Slim with PS JailBreak alongside a rough translation of the PS3 JailBreak guide.
To quote: "During the holidays, it's hot, we needed someone to motivate test PSJailbreak, and it is Jean-Luc who performed the tests on the chip.
Installing the PS3 PS JailBreak Chip:
• The PS3 must have software version 3.41
• The PS3 should be unplugged to the slim version or switch off the PS3 with FAT.
• Put the chip psjailbreak USB into a USB port of PS3 console off completely (not standby).
• Connect or turn the switch ON the PS3.
• Turn on the PS3 with the power button and immediately press EJECT to activate the chip.
• The LEDs light up the smart red and green at the same time
• The chip is PsJailbreak is...
172w ago - Earlier today we saw the PS JailBreak dissected, and now we have a new video from modsupplier via YouTube of the PS JailBreak PS3 modchip video guide in HD!
To quote from the video's caption: "Here is the official introduction video from Modsupplier.com for the PS Jailbreak PS3 modchip, we show how to setup the backup manager, how to backup your games and some general tips and tricks to using the PS Jailbreak.
This is the world's first PS3 mod chip and sure to be a hit, if anyone has any questions about the PS Jailbreak feel free to email us anytime.
No this video is not fake, this is about the third one to be uploaded and confirmed real. If you are looking to expand your PS3 console the PS Jailbreak is your ticket to doing so."