159w ago - PlayStation Network Product Manager James Thorpe has announced today that users can now make watching TV a social experience through a new PlayTV Live Chat upgrade from the PlayStation Store.
To quote: Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that there is a great new upgrade available for PlayTV out now.
If you already own PlayTV then you now have the chance to get your hands on some really exciting new features, exclusive to PlayTV on the PS3.
These fantastic features include:
• Series Link*: Never miss your favourite series with the addition of series link to PlayTV in the UK. (*Not available in Australia or New Zealand)
• Live Chat with friends while watching TV: Enjoy your favourite shows together with this unique new feature. Set up your own chat room or join an existing one and text chat to your friends or anyone on PSN without interrupting your TV Viewing. Up to 64 people can be in a chat room at a time and you can choose if you want your chat room to be open to your PSN friends, everyone on PSN or just the people you invite.
• Recommendations: recommend programmes to Facebook and PSN friends. Share your favourite shows, films and soaps with your friends and get them involved. Send a recommendation to your Facebook wall with your own comments...
172w ago - PlayStation Network Product Manager James Thorpe has announced that PlayTV is set to get even better on the PlayStation 3 entertainment system.
To quote: You may have heard in Andy House's speech at gamescom that PlayTV is set for some pretty interesting extra features before the end of this year, so just wanted to run you through the new features with you on here. Although I'm in Cologne giving demos of PlayTV, I'll do my best to answer any questions you have.
Just in case you haven't heard much about this great gadget for your PS3, here's a really quick look at the basics.
• PlayTV is the little black box that lets you watch, pause and record free-to-air digital TV on your PS3.
• Pause, rewind and record Live TV, watch one channel while you record another and even record programmes while playing games.
• PlayTV features an easy to use programme guide to help you easily plan your viewing.
• If you have a PSP, VAIO laptop or Sony Ericsson AINO phone, you can take all these great features with you, wherever you go. Remote Play enables you to watch live television in superb quality, access previously recorded programmes and organise your media library anywhere in the world. All you need is a wireless Internet connection.
• PlayTV also lets you...
190w ago - PlayStation Network Product Manager James Thorpe has announced news today of a major PlayTV update that will be available at the end of 2010.
To quote: Just wanted to let you know that the guys at Cambridge studios are working really hard to develop some great new features for PlayTV. The next update for PlayTV is due later this year but testing of some of the new features has already begun.
I don't want to give too much away and spoil the surprise but a little hint to one of the new features is that PlayTV will have links to the worlds most popular social network site, Facebook.
Other great enhancements to PlayTV and brand new features will also be included in the update.
As soon as these exciting new features are ready for you I'll give you all the details here on the blog.
Hope you are enjoying your PlayTV on your PS3. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to add them and I'll be back on here on Monday to answer as many as I can.
I look forward to getting this update to you later in the year.
215w ago - Today PlayTV, the Digital TV/DVR addon unit for Sony's PlayStation 3, has been updated to version 1.21.
A minimum of PS3 Firmware 3.0 is required to receive the update, and changes include the following:
• Support for Dolby Digital + for HD channels
• The recording of HD channels is now possible
• Multi-channel audio replay.
• Improved Standard Definition
• Using remote play improved
• Support for reading distance mobile
• Support for the Australian Digital TV
To quote, roughly translated: In addition to finally make compatible audio codec, movie fans can save their favorite series or movies in High Definition using the MPEG-4 HD. In contrast, export records in the XMB leads on an incompatible file.
Sony proves that patience is a virtue, the firm seems to refine each update box to take advantage of new real users.
Go to the menu "Update" your PlayTV to begin installing the software 1.21.