- Make games. Make money. That's the motto of Microsoft's Xbox Live Community Games initiative, which will officially launch to consumers this fall, alongside the forthcoming dashboard update.
As the company's first foray into democratizing game development on a console, indy developers will be able create their own game using the XNA framework, then submit it to Microsoft for peer review.
If approved, you'll be able to set a price on your game, ranging from three suggested retail price points at 200 to 800 Microsoft Points. Developers will receive a 70% return on any game sold, with the remaining 30% going to Microsoft. Microsoft expects community-created efforts to "double the size" of the Xbox 360 library.
Press Release: Microsoft Transforms Community Game Developers Into Entrepreneurs
Xbox 360 creates marketplace for user-generated content with Xbox LIVE Community Games.
Milan - July 22nd, 2008 - During the keynote address today at the Gamefest 2008 Microsoft Game Technology Conference, Microsoft Corp. revealed that it will allow anyone to turn the hobby of game-making into a full-fledged career. Through what is now officially called "Xbox LIVE Community Games," Microsoft makes its marketplace of millions available to members of the XNA Creators Club...