- Creative Director Steve Jaros
posted up a PS4 video today taking an inside look at the creation of Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell's music on PlayStation 4 below.
To quote: Music has always been an important part of the Saints Row franchise:
• Saints Row was inspired by over-the-top hip-hop music videos.
• Saints Row 2 introduced sing alongs.
• Saints Row: The Third showcased the sing alongs as a bonding moment between characters, as well as key licensed tracks to enhance emotion.
• Saints Row IV added dance into the mix (originally we wanted to end with a Bollywood dance number but scope reduction transformed it into the soul train line).
• How The Saints Save Christmas ends with a Christmas montage (originally set to "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey).
So when we decided that Gat out of Hell was going to be Saints Row's take on a Disney-esque fairy tale, we knew pretty early on that a musical number was essential to the experience.
This was exciting to me for two reasons: First, the introduction of a musical number wasn't going to be just some gag, it (like all musicals) was going to convey central plot points and character motivation just like any cutscene.