- Today PlayStation 3 hacker Graf Chokolo
has posted that he has successfully installed Gentoo Linux on the PS3 internal hard disk drive.
To quote from his update: Great news, guys
I was very busy in the last days and I managed to install Gentoo on the internal HDD of PS3 Slim
I created a new VFLASH region of size 40GB and installing my Linux kernel there right now
And GameOS doesn't touch this region when I boot it
So you can reformat your HDD (but not VFLASH) and Linux will be still there
I resized VFLASH from 256MB to about 40GB
• Compiling petitboot for PS3
• Installing petitboot on VFLASH
• Creating HV CFW which is capable of booting GameOS or petitboot. petitboot can boot Linux (or other OS) from HDD, FLASH, USB, CDROM or NFS (just like 3.15 did it or me on my PS3 3.41)
• Creating a more user-friendly approach for installing Linux on internal HDD
BTW, check out my new ps3stor-utils and Linux device driver ps3stormgr. It allows you to create/delete storage regions on PS3 Linux
I used it to create a new VFLASH region for Linux.
Here are my Linux partitions on VFLASH:
brw-rw–- 1 root disk 253, 112 Mar 25 19:19 /dev/ps3vflashh
brw-rw–- 1 root disk 253, 113 Mar...