283w ago - Microsoft has today responded to a number of misleading stories in the UK's mainstream press earlier this week regarding alleged 'red ring' problems with the Xbox 360 Elite console that have been experienced by numerous UK gamers.
"Recent reports in the UK media regarding Xbox 360 contain inaccuracies and pure speculation, as well as news that is a year old.
"Prompted by what Microsoft viewed as an unacceptable number of repairs to Xbox 360 consoles, a year ago Microsoft announced an expansion of its Xbox 360 warranty. Effective 5 July, 2007, any original retail Xbox 360 customer who experiences a general hardware failure indicated by three flashing red lights is covered by a three year warranty from date of purchase, with all other issues remaining covered by the standard one-year warranty."
Why the red ring?
Microsoft's official statement also reiterates the company's initial comments...
284w ago - Thanks to reader Ben Torode, we've got a proper translation of this Watch Impress article, detailing a number of new features coming to 2.40 not yet mentioned by SCEA, as far as we know:
1. The way to quit games has also been modified in line with these changes, and a game can be exited by pressing the PS button during a game and selecting "Game" then "Quit Game" from the XMB.
2. On the XMB in general, added functions include a clock displayed on the XMB, a function to delete all entered text in the entry field when using text entry with a keyboard, and a function which displays an icon to indicate when operation of the PS button is disabled.
3. In "Users" under the XMB, an item has been added to power off the PS3 console. Under "Settings", options have been added to automatically power off after a system software update, and "assign controller", "controller vibration function" settings have been added under "accessory settings".
4. Under "Photos", as well as photos within a playlist becoming printable, when photos are sorted by month or year taken, an ascending and descending order option has been added.
5. Under "Music", a mini control panel can now be displayed while playing music, as well...
"We (Ninja Theory) never started work on HS2 as we wanted to focus on new multiplatform IP. Sony owns the IP for HS and we have never been privy to what they would do with it.
As for moving, we have been planning to move to larger premises for future expansion for the best part of a year. There is nothing bitter about the move.
And the rumor that the team has been disbanded is ridiculous. We have had an unbelievably loyal team especially as we went through some difficult times securing a new publishing deal. We have a new publisher and are busy on our new project which is going very well so far.
290w ago - When a new issue of EGM drops, most of the time we tend to scroll right to the rumors and look for the newest bit of gossip. This issue in particular has some very interesting tid-bits.
First, EGM is reporting what we've been speculating for a very long time now: Bioshock is heading to the PlayStation 3 in September, and will come complete with all of the game's downloadable content, as well as improved visuals. This is a topic we've been talking about since before the game launched on the Xbox 360 last year.
We've long believed the game to exist somewhere within Irational Games (now 2K Austin), seeing as how development of Bioshock began for both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, as indicated by an early press release for the game. Now we have to wait and hope that EGM, or their sources are right about this.
Another notable rumor is that the Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 bundle is going to be extremely limited, so if you don't secure yourself a pre-order sometime soon, you may very well be out of luck. So if you've yet to grab yourself a PlayStation 3, why not pre-order the year's best damn bundle before they're all gone?
And please don't pre-order these with the intention of re-selling them on eBay or something, if the bundles end up becoming a rarity and being worth something, it won't...
294w ago - The "Inside Whispers" section of the Official PlayStation Magazine has provided the following rumors:
- Bite sized episodic gaming will hit the PlayStation Store "before the end of the year"
- Heavenly Sword 2 will take place 10 years after original and feature a male lead character
- In-game XMB functionality will be ready in time for summer
- Ready at Dawn devs are now working on a PS3 exclusive
- The bizarre Linger In Shadows, complete with flying dogs and deadly black smoke, will be a PSN download