170w ago - Previously we announced news of the PS3Key PS JailBreak device for PlayStation 3, and today they have updated their site (linked above) with a feature list and pricing via Twitter, as follows:
"Release will be in a few weeks, recommended retail price set at USD49!"
PS3Key Feature List
• USB Plug and Play solution that installs in seconds without any need to open up the PS3.
• Does not break your warranty seal.
• Compatible with all PS3 models, both Fat and Slim.
• Supports all regions: USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA.
• USB device fully updatable by PC.
• Disables forced software updates and will never brick your console.
• Supports most games and homebrew applications.
• Easy-to-use software for backing up, managing, and playing games from external USB Hard Drive.
• Playing games from HDD is much more enjoyable, benefiting from greatly enhanced seek and loading times.
• Supports installing homebrew application on PS3 and external USB media.
• Optionally PS3Key can be supplied with an "open" firmware which does not support backup loading. Users would then have to download a firmware update for PS3Key...
171w ago - Earlier today we reported on the open-source PS JailBreak PS3 exploit from Mathieulh's PlayStation 3 hacking team dubbed PSGroove, and as promised the reverse-engineering details are now available linked above and posted below, as follows:
Analysis of the PSJailbreak Exploit
The PSJailbreak dongle is a modchip for the PlayStation 3 that allows users to backup and play games off the harddrive. Unlike the modchips of the Previous generation, or the modchips so far for the Xbox360 and Wii, this modchip simply plugs into the USB port on the front of the PS3, avoiding the need for complex soldering and voiding of your warranty.
As the time of writing this document, the final PSJailbreak has not been released, but a number of samples were given out and at least one fell into the hands of someone who owned a USB sniffer.
This analysis of the exploit is based on those USB sniffer logs, issues encountered during the development of the opensource PSGroove version of the exploit and a number of educated guesses. It will probably be updated as new information comes in.
The initial analysis by gamefreax.de suggested that it was a Stack...
171w ago - Today the PS JailBreak team have confirmed via xiaNaix (linked above) that an updated version 1.1 of the Backup Manager is coming soon which will include new features and tweaks.
Previously it was reported that the PS JailBreak delay was due to a component shortage, however, this was also clarified today, to quote:
"They would also like to clarify that the launch delay was not caused by a parts shortage as originally reported. They are finishing their retail packaging and finalizing the new software."
Finally, the PS JaiLBreak team are assisting Australian resellers who were recently a victim of an injunction by Sony, as follows:
"With the recent injunction in Australia, they have decided to stand behind their dealers and distributors with financial support. They have made a sizable donation to both OzMods and Quantronics to help support the cause!"
171w ago - According to the folks over at PS3JailBreak.com (linked above), an image marked Titan JailBreak was recently uncovered on the official PS JailBreak site's Web server.
Yesterday we reported that the PS JailBreak launch was going to be delayed approximately a week, and now some are speculating as to whether Titan JailBreak is an official PS JailBreak clone or simply a name while the PS3 modchip was still in development.
To quote: "An image found on psjailbreak's official site shows the name "Titan Jailbreak" It is unknown exactly why this banner is on the official site. Could this be the name of an upcoming official clone of the PSJailbreak?
Perhaps due to the component shortage earlier reported, the manufacturer has decided to make a rebranded clone with different components. This is purely speculation but it would make sense."