144w ago - A few weeks back we reported that Sony was hiring IP investigators as part of forming a PS3 anti-piracy program, and today Dutch site PSX-Sense (linked above) reports that they may also be recruiting PlayStation 3 hackers as well.
According to rumor, Sarah McRaecontactedKoushik Dutta regarding a Software Engineer position that is opening at SCEA.
To quote, roughly translated: Something we wouldn't expect from Sony; they are recruiting hackers for a job at SCEA. A hacker named Koush got an e-mail, which is 100% real, from Sarah McRae which works onsite at the Talent Acquisition department.
He had been asked for a job at the R&D Departmen at Sony, we're sure Koushik isn't the only hacker which has been contacted by Sony. As a proof Koush posted a screenshot of the e-mail.
144w ago - Today the Killzone 3 PS3 patch v1.04 update has gone live via PSN, which includes several bug fixes detailed below courtesy of Guerrilla Games alongside some new features for PlayStation 3 gamers to take advantage of.
To quote: CHANGES & NEW FUNCTIONALITY
• Network - Lag fixes and fixes for network errors 10002, 8001 and 8013
• Gameplay - Players now have more stamina by default. Sprint length is increased but the recharge timer has been adjusted to compensate
• Gameplay - Mortally wounded players no longer have collision. Alive players should now be able to traverse the levels without getting stuck on mortally wounded players
• Gameplay - Medic's revive cool-down reduced from 25 to 10 seconds
• Gameplay - Increased range from where friendly players can be revived - player can be revived from 20 meters now
• Gameplay - Guerrilla Warfare games now last 15 minutes and it takes 100 kills instead of 50 to win
• Performance - Improvements to party creation server load
• Menu - Show envelope icon to indicate that player has received message
• Menu - Rewards panel in post game screen now auto-scrolls
• Menu - Botzone is now paused when player goes to start menu
• Menu - Single click squad...
To quote: Package Manager is a replacement for the standard ★ Install Package Files option under 'Game' in the XMB and allows for the install and deletion of .pkg files from 'dev_hdd0/packages', 'dev_usb/packages' and the standard ★ Install Package Files locations. In addition to this, your downloaded PSN content will appear under this menu instead of cluttering your 'Game' menu with uninstalled content.
1: Download the 'Package Manager 0.9 - Installer' package and install it on your PS3.
2: Run 'Package Manager 0.9 - Installer' and choose your option. (Rebug and OFW/CFW have slightly different icons in their RCO's. THIS IS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO OPTIONS BELOW)
For Official Icon Set:
Press CROSS to INSTALL Package Manager 0.9
Press CIRCLE to UNINSTALL Package Manager 0.9
For Rebug Icon Set:
Press SQUARE to INSTALL Package Manager 0.9
Press TRIANGLE to UNINSTALL Package Manager 0.9
The 'dev_hdd0/packages' folder is created automaticly when you choose one of the above install...
144w ago - With news of the 8.9 magnitude earthquake and tsunamis in Japan, several Sony factories are currently closed as a result of the disaster.
To quote from Engadget (linked above): "Sony and Toyota have both stopped operations in their factories due to damage. Tragically, one Honda worker lost his life after a wall collapsed, while several Panasonic workers are said to have suffered minor injuries.
It remains to be seen exactly what impacts this will have on consumers, but Sony's closed factories were responsible for the production of Blu-ray discs and batteries, while the numerous automotive shutdowns could result in short-term shortages. This bad news sent stocks downward, with German share prices for Sony dropping 2.5 percent and Honda 4.5 percent.
We're still watching with concern to see what other impacts the resultant tsunamis could have, but for now we'll keep hoping for the best."