226w ago - Valve's Gabe Newell appears to have recently conducted a focus group with deaf individuals in order to learn more about sign language and how it can be applied to games, notably the upcoming Half-Life 2: Episode 3.
Why? To help develop Alyx's character, and further the animation technology implemented in the Half-Life games.
Newell explains, to quote: "[Alyx] had a crush on someone who was hearing impaired, so she taught Dog how to sign so she could practice. Something happened, maybe, the person is off fighting the Combine someplace else, but that's why she and Dog would start signing with each other when they wanted to communicate without making noise, or communicate without other people knowing ... It gave us the excuse to build the technology for signing."
The focus group responds by noting the importance of facial expression whilst signing. While the Half-Life franchise has been known for its believable facial animation, it might take even more to fully realize the nuances necessary for authentic signing. It'll be interesting to see if Valve is up to the challenge.
227w ago - The infamous Half-Life 2 mod Cinematic Mod 10 is getting into Beta 3 stage. The most important changes: The Adriana Lima style Alyx model is now revised and looking even more realistic.
Modder Fakefactory has released the third Beta of the Cinematic Mod 10. The modification for Half-Life 2 offers several improvements.
The most important changes applied with Cienmtaic Mod 10 Beta 3:
• Certain maps in Half-Life 2, episode 1 and Episode 2 have been overhauled in order to increase the visual quality as well as the performance
• Some new textures
• New HD model V50 of Alyx (Adriana Lima based)
• New dialogues for citizens
227w ago - TheBBPS nominates who they want to play who in the coming fourth installment of the popular Resident Evil film franchsie, entitled Resident Evil: Afterlife, as follows:
Whether or not you like her character, this one's already been confirmed. The sultry Milla Jovovich will be reprising her role as the sexy asskicking genetically engineered supersoldier, Alice.
Since as of now Alice has been the only confirmed returning character, everyone from here on is either rumored or made up by yours truly.
Fans of the films may have noticed that Jill Valentine was surprisingly absent from Resident Evil: Extinction. In fact, it was like she never even existed. Apparently, due to scheduling conflicts with the dreadful Eragon film, Sienna had to decline when asked to reprise her role as Jill.
For Extinction, the writers completely left Jill out of the story to make it possible to bring her back in later films. And since I think it's safe to assume that we won't be seeing more Eragon in the near future, there's a good chance Sienna will be returning in Afterlife.
Leon S. Kennedy
Rumors have been circulating for awhile now that Resident Evil 4's main protagonist may be appearing in the fourth Resident...
239w ago - Today caliblue15 has posted (linked above) that Life with PlayStation Update 1.1 is now available, along with details as follows:
Just turned on my Life with PlayStation, and look what I found, Update 1.1.
Life with PlayStation Update 1.1 Changes:
• Added support for adding and removing channels dynamically
• Added a local time display in the LIVE CHANNEL.
• Updated Mood categories for auomatic music selection.
• Added support to enable Folding@Home Expert Mode which disables all other channels and features that may impact simulation performance.
• Folding@home Expert Mode can be activated by navigating to:
Options Menu > [Configuration] > [Folding@home].
• Expert Mode - Folding@home™ is the only channel enabled. All application processing power is used exclusively for Folding@home™ and no other channels can be browsed. Note: While in this mode, channel updates are also disabled.
• New Channel - United Village - United Village is a project designed to provide an experience of sharing a sense of community and culture from locations around the world. With each update, we will feature a visual series of moments and aspects of life from various locations. The United Village channel is provided by Frontier International, Inc.