287w ago - Game Rumor recently had the chance to talk with Mark Thompson, an engine programmer over at Epic Games. The full interview will be posted later but for now here are some new interesting multiplayer details we learned from our time over at Epic.
-COG and Locust will each have 12 character models (7 each in Gears 1)
-A new map announced, "Dusk" puts players in a smaller, Raven Down style map with locust/cog battles in the distance scenery.
- New flamethrower has a "fuel meter" instead of ammo clips like in other guns, and will jam if continually fired for an extended amount of time.
- Hammer of Dawn will have only 3 charges until it "burns out". A 4th charge is possible, but it will cause the weapon to explode killing the character and hopefully enemies close by.
- Subway's trains movement can be turned on / off with a switch. Described as being "the hardest aspect to program yet!"
- A new gametype "Wanted" pits 9 Locusts on 1 COG or 9 COG on 1 Locust. This modified version of Juggernaut has a clock for each player counting how long each player is the wanted. The wanted can only be killed with execution style rules.
- Boomshot has been modified to hold 3 ammo. Each individual rocket has been weakened, however, if...
291w ago - Gears of War 2 is the highly anticipated sequel to the 4.7-million-selling blockbuster third-person tactical action game, one of the most popular Xbox 360 games in history.
Gears of War 2 picks up six months after the events of Gears of War, and thrusts players back into a deep and harrowing story of humankind's epic battle for survival against a nightmarish force of underground creatures known as the Locust Horde.
Gears of War 2 is developed by Epic Games exclusively for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system. Players continue the story of Marcus Fenix, a reluctant war hero, as he leads Delta Squad on a series of perilous and adrenaline-pumping missions.
Gears of War 2 blends a best-in-class third-person shooter with unsurpassed high-definition visuals, all layered on top of an engaging story of survival, loss and retribution.
Bigger, better and more badass gameplay. Gears of War 2 builds upon the gameplay of the first title in every way. First, the scope of the action is bigger. New characters, more weapons, nastier enemies, bigger vehicles and grander locales offer players more action, more emotion and more thrills.
Next, every major aspect of the game has been refined to create heightened, more immersive experiences. Finally,...
292w ago - The eagerly awaited Gears of War 2 footage was released last night to the delight of fans and gamers. What we saw was some great looking action with far more happening on screen than Gears 1.
I was floored when I saw the down sampled video. Upon further inspection of the 720p feed though, it appears that Epic isn't rendering on screen what we might think. Check out these full 720p direct feed game captures. Jpgs are not compressed.
It appears that Epic has applied a strong smear filter to the engine. This smear effect is also similar to the median blur in Photoshop. Why is it there? Is it there for effect? Perhaps. But does it make the game look better? Maybe if you're using lower res textures and lower poly models. View the images and decide for yourself.
More screenshots can be seen at the link up top of this article.
292w ago - Bald Space Marines have become something of an Xbox stereotype, but it's hard to deny that few developers do them better than Epic Games. Gears of War was a smash hit both at the cash register and online in 2006 and through 2007, so the sequel has its work cut out for it.
So the question is - how's it looking? And the answer is - pretty damn good.
Of course, you'd expect a sequel to improve on the original but what's most heartening about what we've seen of Gears of War 2 so far is that the improvements are looking good throughout the game. Technology, gameplay and story all look to have been substantially overhauled. Let's look at how.
Epic Games is also famous for the Unreal Engine, its middleware that forms the basis of all its games - and those of many, many other developers too. In the eighteen months or so since Gears of War's release, Epic's technology team has been hard at work on Unreal Engine 3 and it's looking substantially more capable at blowing our minds than the version used in the original. Here are some of its key new or improved features, and what they mean in game terms.
- Ambient Occlusion: adds more dynamic and realistic shadows.
- Advanced Character Lighting: provides character models with better contrast and specular...