159w ago - As a follow-up to his PS3 Hypervisor Reverse Engineering Progress report, today graf_chokolo has published on xorloser's blog (linked above) his updated PSGroove payload which now allows for decrypting PKGs from PS3 PUP files.
To quote: "So guys, I promised to you that I will made my PSGroove payload public.
I just uploaded it to github. Let me first explain how it works. I do not have much free time, so please do not expect me to explain every detail to you. The target group of this release are advanced programmers among you. The source code is not commented but it's clean, well structured and self-explaining.
My payload has 2 stages. The 1st stage is actually a PSGroove payload. It initializes the gelic device and allocates memory needed for the 2nd stage. Just compile the 1st stage binary, convert it to C hex array and replace the PSGroove payload.
The 2nd stage does the real job, e.g. decrypts a CORE_OS_PACKAGE.pkg from a PUP file, runs some isolated SPU module or dumps...
160w ago - Update: Chinese PlayStation 3 developer xoeo at A9VG.com has now released a working PSGroove payload to spoof PS3 Firmware version 3.15 / 3.41 to 3.50 along with some PSGroove hex codes, as follows:
161w ago - A few weeks back Dominator7 made a guide on how to port / convert plain payload files for USB JailBreak dongles, and today garyopa at PSX-Scene has posted news of an ATMega16A Payload Injector project for PS3 JailBreak devices including PSGroove.
To quote: A lot of people that have bought the original PSJailbreak, or the various cheap clones, have been left in the dark with the old basic first public release of PSGroove that the cloners had burned into their ATMega16A chips that been widely used in the dongles that have been sold!
But of course with no bootloader burned in for future use, you can't update them to support the latest and greatest of the new payloads that have appeared like the Hermes V4b, and the very useful PL3 versions!
Along comes ATMega16A Payload Injector Project which originally started out as forum thread on Elotrolado, the very active Spanish site, with lots of good talented PS3 Developers!
162w ago - Today DJpopol on PSX-Scene.com (linked above) has released EZPayloadToTi v1.1 along with some updates below which allows PS3 JailBreak users to easily make PSGroove Hermes and Kakaroto payloads.
To quote: With this you can make payloads (Hermes & Kakaroto).
You must compile the payload's source before.
1. Select .bin file.
2. Give it a new name for your payload (8 characters required).
3. Click GO.
4. Now, you should have a new file, whatever name you gave it, ending with extension .8xv
Changelog for v1.1:
• Supports payload Kakaroto.
• English translation for languages other than French.
• The destination folder can now be chosen.
• Now You Can Choose Name of Kakaroto.8xv
• You Asked To Choose Bin File Than Payload's Compiled Folder. It's done.
• But Be careful if the Bin Filename is different than hermes's Bin or Kakaroto's Bin. (You'll Seen Payload Unknown). It do the same than To8xv.exe.
• The graph screen is no longer blank upon exiting the application.
• The hook was being automatically installed when selecting 1) PS3 Jailbreak and exiting; this has been fixed.
• It's just generally more likely to work.
To quote: "I have to admit, I didn't think it was going to happen but... folks, the jailbreak works on the 89Ti. Proof, source, and release coming soon."
For the moment, those interested can check out his Jailbreak a PS3 from a TI-89 Titanium Calculator proof-of-concept video below!