204w ago - Xbox Product Management Senior Director David Hufford believes that Natal will give new life to the Xbox 360, and that there is no need to launch a new console.
To quote from a recent interview with Guardian.co.uk: "I think it's important to say that the Xbox 360 is the console of the long future for us.
There is no need to launch a new console, because we're able to give this console new life either with software upgrades or hardware upgrades like Project Natal," said David Hufford, senior director of Xbox product management in a briefing at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. "The Xbox 360 was designed for a long life, and I don't even know if we're at the midpoint yet."
This would mean that the Xbox 360 can survive a 10 year life span? Feel free to comment below!
205w ago - Today GamesIndustry.biz (linked above) reports that Microsoft is opting for an XBox 360 software solution after dropping the internal hardware chip in Natal in an effort to reduce costs of the device.
The load previously handled by the chip now falls on one of the main three Xenon processors, but while taking a "percentage" of performance away from the system, most games don't use up 100 per cent of the available processing power anyway.
To quote: "Microsoft has dropped a chip from its forthcoming Natal motion control system as the platform holder eyes accessible price points in the build-up to release later this year.
The chip, which was responsible for processing information for the Natal's 'bone system,' has been removed in favour of a software solution."
205w ago - Microsoft's Robbie Bach did a CES 2010 interview today, and while most of it is just a general conversation if you skip to 11:50 in the video he mentions "XBox Game Room" which sounds like it will be a one stop shop for retro games as first rumored.
Below is the official Fact Sheet information regarding the 'Game Room' which has now been made available:
• Relive the glory days of the classic arcade. "Game Room" replicates the old-school look, sound and feel of a retro video game arcade. At launch, "Game Room" will bring you a library of 30 original arcade and console classics such as "Centipede┬®" and "Asteroids Deluxe┬®" from Atari Inc. and other favorites from Activision Inc., Intellivision, Konami Corp. and more, all shown in their original cabinets.
Create a brand-new social environment your avatar can explore, trick out your "game room" by arranging your cabinets, and decorate each room with themes and animated icons from your favorite games. With weekly new title releases, your arcade will soon be retrofitted to perfection.
207w ago - The inevitable has happened according to a multi-page thread on XBox-Scene (linked above), it appears Microsoft is now beginning to ban homebrew XBox 360 consoles running freeBOOT or XBReboot from XBox LIVE.
211w ago - Today Microsoft has announced news of a new Limited Edition XBox 360 NXE Bundle, which gives you everything you need to connect to XBox LIVE.
It will be available for around €79,99 and offer access to Facebook, Twitter and Zune video with instant streaming HD movies on Xbox LIVE.
The NXE bundle includes the following four accessories:
• 3 Months Gold Membership - Experience three months of pure gold! Your Xbox LIVE┬® Gold membership lets you connect and play with friends around the world and watch Blockbuster HD movies. Plus, with your Gold membership you get early access to some of the best new games and content
• Wireless Network Adapter - Getting caught up in messy wires? Cut the cord by connecting quick and easily to Xbox LIVE from anywhere in the home
• 800 MS Points - Play more, save money! Update your avatar with an unique accessory or download your favourite movie or one of the many fun arcade games with free MS points
• Universal Media Remote - More remote controls than people in your living room? Manage all your home entertainment needs - including your TV, DVD player and Xbox 360 - from one handy remote control all without leaving the comfort of your sofa.