163w ago - Normally we don't cover MAC stuff, however, today Marcello from PensieriDigitali.com (lupin4 on our site) let us know he has made available a guide detailing how to upgrade PS3Break firmware via MAC OSX (AT90USB162) for PS3 JailBreak users.
To quote: This procedure has been tested only with PS3Break 1.0 key (atmel chip) and do not guarantee that work with other key (in theory just change some parameters).
How to flash a PS3Break 1.0 with MAC OSX:
New method (thanks to ScotthishCpt) with this procedure you do not install anything because ScotthishCpt built a self-contained SDK, and when you're done, just unmount the disk image without trace or driver in the system.
1) Download from HERE the modified version of Avr8_sdk.
2) Double click on (AVR8_SDK.dmg) and mount the volume (avr8_sdk).
3) Browse to Applications directory in the volume.
4) Launch SDK TERMINAL.
5) At this time insert the PS3Break key in the usb port in DFU mode (click the upgrade button immediately after it's inserted).
6) If the key is correctly in DFU mode the green light should be off, you can...
While the file on their official downloads page (psjailbreak.com/downloads) is still named "manager.pkg" as the old version at the moment, it does display v1.1 on the screen and offers discless booting (press SQUARE when booting a game) and reportedly features improved PS3 game compatibility.
To quote: "Time will tell very shortly what is true and what is not, here is an earlier chat with them:
[16:21:07] Smeemi: Hi there!
[16:21:15] Smeemi: What are your promotions?
[16:25:16] Smeemi: and is the backup manager 1.1 coming out today?
[16:26:04] PS Jailbreak Sales: Yes
[16:26:11] Smeemi: What time?
[16:26:12] PS Jailbreak Sales: It will be on our site in 30
[16:26:15] Smeemi: 30 minutes?
[16:26:57] PS Jailbreak Sales: Yes
[16:26:59] Smeemi: Thanks
[16:27:09] PS Jailbreak Sales: Your welcome
[16:27:52] Smeemi: Any good features...
165w ago - Forum user Geox_10 on Elotrolado.net has discovered a PS JailBreak clone called PSGroove Hermes recently, and as a result of using his name on the PS3 modchip Spanish developer Hermes has bid the PS3 scene farewell.
The offending product is currently being sold at VolumeRates.com (linked above) under the title 'PSGroove Hermes PS Break Revolution USB Chipset Adapter for PS3 Fat and Slim' for $18.79 USD each.
Here is what Hermes had to say, to quote roughly translated:
"This should be a sick joke: Not only advantage of working sceners, if you have the nerve up to take my nickname as a reference to a product, and notice that I have nothing to do with them.
Well if that's what they want, go ahead: selling their clones and seize whatever they want, I happened to keep the riffraff and although I feel for others, here ended my contribution to the scene of PS3.
165w ago - It's been just under two months since the original PSJailBreak PS3 USB modchip was announced, and today what appears to be the least innovatively named clone thus far called simply PS JailBreak 2 has arrived.
PS JailBreak 2 Features:
• Fully updatable via USB on your PC using PSJailBreak2 update software.
• USB Plug and Play solution that installs in seconds without any need to open up the PS3.
• Support boot HDD game without BD.
• Supports any available type of firmware for the PS3. PSGroove, PSFreedom, and so on.
• Can load directly PSGroove .hex files and Payloads .BIN files.
• Can be removed once started. No need to have the USB key always into your PS3!
• Does not break your warranty seal.
• Compatible with all PS3 models, both Fat and Slim.
• Supports all regions: USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA.
• Optimized and enhanced code (most competing products simply use available code).
• Disabled forced software updates and will never brick your console.
• Supports most games and homebrew applications.
• Easy-to-use software for backing up, managing, and playing games from External USB Hard Drive.