170w ago - Previously we announced news of the PS3Key PS JailBreak device for PlayStation 3, and today they have updated their site (linked above) with a feature list and pricing via Twitter, as follows:
"Release will be in a few weeks, recommended retail price set at USD49!"
PS3Key Feature List
• USB Plug and Play solution that installs in seconds without any need to open up the PS3.
• Does not break your warranty seal.
• Compatible with all PS3 models, both Fat and Slim.
• Supports all regions: USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA.
• USB device fully updatable by PC.
• Disables forced software updates and will never brick your console.
• Supports most games and homebrew applications.
• Easy-to-use software for backing up, managing, and playing games from external USB Hard Drive.
• Playing games from HDD is much more enjoyable, benefiting from greatly enhanced seek and loading times.
• Supports installing homebrew application on PS3 and external USB media.
• Optionally PS3Key can be supplied with an "open" firmware which does not support backup loading. Users would then have to download a firmware update for PS3Key...
171w ago - Yesterday we reported on news of the first x3JailBreak PS JailBreak PS3 USB ModChip clone, and today it is being labeled as a possible fake with a second clone dubbed the PS3Key Mod surfacing.
Similar to the x3JailBreak site, the Dutch Web site PS3Key.com lacks specific details on the alleged clone, so only time will tell if it is legitimate or not.
They do state, however, to quote: "Good news everyone! Our mad scientist has confirmed that getting into the console is as simple as pretending to be a USB hub! It doesn't look like this is going to take any more than a few weeks!"
According to Nyleveia.com (linked above), x3JailBreak is nothing more than the internals of a generic or branded-clone USB flash drive when compared to PS JailBreak which they say likely utilizes an Alcor AU6984 flash storage controller.
To quote: "Both devices follow a similar layout with a bank of SMT's leading to a crystal oscillator then a flash controller and lastly the SMD (Activity light). On the lower device, the flash memory itself is located on the underside of the PCB, as the many vias present in the PCB around the flash controller indicate.