236w ago - Ever since shots of Sony's new PSP Go have surfaced, some similarities between it and the rumored PS3 Slim box have been the subject of debate.
Both boxes share similar font, a horizontal band and similar placement of device specifications such as the memory capacity.
To quote: Remember when those slim PS3 shots came out and skeptics bemoaned the missing "spiderman font" as proof of mischief?
Well, if you believe that the PSP Go is a lock, and really, at this point there's no reason to doubt it, then a side-by-side shot of the PSP Go and slim PS3 box art should be quite revealing... and it is.
Note the similar font, horizontal band, and general placement of device specs like memory capacity. Pretty similar, thus giving the slim PS3 rumor that much more weight.
If this is the new slim PS3 then the only question now is whether it'll be unveiled at E3 next week or not.
247w ago - The 2009 Game Developers Conference begins tomorrow (already today in some parts of the world), and here are some pre-GDC 2009 PS3 and PSP rumors circulating the Internet:
We round up the latest hearsay to come from the Game Developers Conference. Teeda was kind enough to share some of the latest rumors involving the Game Developers Conference with us. Here's the latest:
• New 80gb PS3 bundled with 2 games will be launched at the end of March.. it will cost $399 (already confirmed).
• New 40gb ps3 sku will be launched this May. The cost will be $299.
• PSP slide will be shown for the first time in this year's E3. The launch is next year.
• The currently available PSP model will get a price cut too. The cost will be $119.
• Fumito Ueda will be there at GDC '09. He will announce 2 projects. One of them is Shadow of the Colossus Online.
• Syphon Filter is underway to PS3. Apparently the developers are using the same engine behind Killzone2.
• Insomniac is developing a new action platformer RPG. It looks like a Zelda clone.
284w ago - Thanks to reader Ben Torode, we've got a proper translation of this Watch Impress article, detailing a number of new features coming to 2.40 not yet mentioned by SCEA, as far as we know:
1. The way to quit games has also been modified in line with these changes, and a game can be exited by pressing the PS button during a game and selecting "Game" then "Quit Game" from the XMB.
2. On the XMB in general, added functions include a clock displayed on the XMB, a function to delete all entered text in the entry field when using text entry with a keyboard, and a function which displays an icon to indicate when operation of the PS button is disabled.
3. In "Users" under the XMB, an item has been added to power off the PS3 console. Under "Settings", options have been added to automatically power off after a system software update, and "assign controller", "controller vibration function" settings have been added under "accessory settings".
4. Under "Photos", as well as photos within a playlist becoming printable, when photos are sorted by month or year taken, an ascending and descending order option has been added.
5. Under "Music", a mini control panel can now be displayed while playing music, as well...
291w ago - When a new issue of EGM drops, most of the time we tend to scroll right to the rumors and look for the newest bit of gossip. This issue in particular has some very interesting tid-bits.
First, EGM is reporting what we've been speculating for a very long time now: Bioshock is heading to the PlayStation 3 in September, and will come complete with all of the game's downloadable content, as well as improved visuals. This is a topic we've been talking about since before the game launched on the Xbox 360 last year.
We've long believed the game to exist somewhere within Irational Games (now 2K Austin), seeing as how development of Bioshock began for both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, as indicated by an early press release for the game. Now we have to wait and hope that EGM, or their sources are right about this.
Another notable rumor is that the Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 bundle is going to be extremely limited, so if you don't secure yourself a pre-order sometime soon, you may very well be out of luck. So if you've yet to grab yourself a PlayStation 3, why not pre-order the year's best damn bundle before they're all gone?
And please don't pre-order these with the intention of re-selling them on eBay or something, if the bundles end up becoming a rarity and being worth something, it won't...