- This guide is an addendum to [Register or Login to view links]
guide. It explains how to use your PlayStation 3 Blu-ray drive to transfer BD movies onto a Mac or a PC for subsequent ripping & Apple TV encoding.
The primary purpose here is to avoid the expense of a computer-based Blu-ray drive for movies rips. Hardware/Software needed:
1. Sony PlayStation 3
2. USB keyboard & mouse for PS3
3. Windows XP/Vista PC or Mac with Parallels (100GB free space)
4. CD-RW or DVD-RW blank disk
5. Gigabit Wired Network
6. [Register or Login to view links]
(free PC app)
7. [Register or Login to view links]
(commercial PC app, ~$100, 21-day trial available)
8. [Register or Login to view links]
(free open source)
1. You have to install Ubuntu Linux onto your PS3. Those who are intimidated by this step or Linux in general - don't worry!
Installing other operating system on PS3 is fully supported by Sony, unlike say "patching" Apple TV. Also, installing Ubuntu is a very simple process even if you'd never touched...