- This guide is an addendum to Blu-ray to Apple TV
guide. It explains how to use your PlayStation 3 Blu-ray drive to transfer BD movies onto a Mac or a PC for subsequent ripping & Apple TV encoding.
The primary purpose here is to avoid the expense of a computer-based Blu-ray drive for movies rips. Hardware/Software needed:
1. Sony PlayStation 3
2. USB keyboard & mouse for PS3
3. Windows XP/Vista PC or Mac with Parallels (100GB free space)
4. CD-RW or DVD-RW blank disk
5. Gigabit Wired Network
6. SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive
(free PC app)
7. SlySoft AnyDVD HD
(commercial PC app, ~$100, 21-day trial available)
8. Ubuntu 8.10 for PS3
(free open source)
1. You have to install Ubuntu Linux onto your PS3. Those who are intimidated by this step or Linux in general - don't worry!
Installing other operating system on PS3 is fully supported by Sony, unlike say "patching" Apple TV. Also, installing Ubuntu is a very simple process even if you'd never touched...