242w ago - The switch on Sony's electrifying announcement may have just been flipped, as a Best Buy pre-order box for inFamous reveals the existence of a multiplayer beta test for Uncharted 2.
To quote: Sony began teasing "an electrifying announcement" to take place on April 27th regarding both Sucker Punch's inFamous and Naughty Dog's Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.
Today a reader sent us this photo of a batch of newly opened Best Buy pre-order placeholder boxes for inFamous, which indicate that not only do pre-orders score players early access to the inFamous demo, they also receive a voucher for entry into the multiplayer beta test for Uncharted 2.
They key word here is multiplayer. Announcing that the sequel to one of the best single-player games on the PlayStation 3 is adding a multiplayer component certainly qualifies as electrifying. I'm certain we'll hear much more on this come April 27th.
243w ago - According to the PlayStation Blog today, InFamous has now gone gold.
In just over a month (May 26th, 2009) the PS3 will launch another big console exclusive in Sucker Punch Products third person shooter inFamous.
This coming just a few months after the release of Killzone 2 will leave many Sony fans asking for the first time since the PS3's release, "What game should I play?"
So why might InFamous be a killer game?
It is Crackdown meets Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. The games setting takes you to Empire City, a setting ravaged by a massive explosion supposedly caused by Cole McGrath, the character you play. You are free to wander the Empire City ala Crackdown only you have badass powers comparable to Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.
Your powers include shooting electricity at your enemies, forming and electrical shield to repel foes and their weapons and creating electrical grenades that are thrown and explode in similar fashion to plasma grenades in Halo. No more linear levels like those found in Force Unleashed which should result in a more creative use of your powers.
InFamous may not be as simple and mindless as it sounds though as it contains its own RPG like element in...
244w ago - Today SCEA Marketing Manager Asad Qizilbash has announced that the June release date for inFamous on Sony's PS3 has been bumped up to May 26, 2009.
To quote: Many of you may be wondering when we plan to announce the release date for inFamous. Well today, we have a little surprise for you... the release month is no longer June. Now wait, I know what you're thinking... inFamous is NOT delayed, in fact, the guys up at Sucker Punch have been working so hard that the game will be releasing in the U.S. on May 26!
Now with just a little over a month until the game hits shelves, inFamous pre-order goodness begins today. Those who pre-order the game at participating retailers will have a chance to get one of the following:
• An exclusive 'Gigawatt Blades' Super Power: The Gigawatt Blades supercharges Cole's arm into an instrument of destruction unmatched by any other melee weapon in game. Although very powerful, you'll still have to use this weapon wisely, as it takes a considerable drain on your powers.
• Limited-edition inFamous costume for Home Avatar - Look like one of the REAPER gang members.
• Early access to the official Game Demo. Be one of the first to play inFamous on May 7th.
246w ago - We have uploaded a gameplay video straight from the GDC for the PS3 exclusive inFamous from Sony and Sucker Punch Studios.
The video showcases the 'Terrorized Streets' mission in the game, you can it HD 720p quality below, along with a list of some of the key features in the game.
• Be a Hero: Take on the role of Cole, an everyday guy and urban explorer, who develops a wide range of electricity-based powers. Come to terms with and learn to control Cole's evolving powers as you attempt to save Empire City and its people.
• Super Powers: Discover, develop and use (for good or ill) a wide range of electricity-based super powers, and struggle to grasp the responsibility that comes with such extreme power.
• Epic Battles: Experience what it is like to be a true hero, taking responsibility for every action as you battle against powerful villains.
• Open Dynamic World: Coupling rich powers with a reactive environment and population, inFamous lets players experience complete freedom. Explore a deep, open interactive city - and grapple with your conscience as you decide whether to save or destroy it.
247w ago - Infamous is the first PlayStation 3 outing from Sucker Punch, the guys behind the much-loved Sly Cooper games.
In this title, you'll pick up the pieces of Cole's life in a nearly destroyed world. See, Cole was an ordinary messenger who saw Empire City collapse when a package he was delivering exploded in his hands and leveled a large section of town.
When Cole came out of his coma, he found Empire City completely quarantined off from the rest of the world, riots in the street, mutated gangs in control, and his body infused with electrical super-powers. Now able to shoot electrical blasts from his hands, survive falls from the top of buildings, and knock cars into the air with telekinetic blasts, it's up to Cole to protect his friends and survive this brave new world.
The interesting thing about all of this is the fact that Cole doesn't have to use his powers for the good of all mankind -- he can be as selfish as you want him to be. See, Infamous employs a seven-level Karma System that monitors your actions and lets you know how good or bad Cole is being.
See, this will all be broken down in a little crescent-shaped meter next to your power level. If...