The videos and pictures were taken from PS3 Test kits with the 2.4 release of the Dev Firmware, given to videogame developers in order to ensure that there are actually trophies available upon release, and that everything is working.
289w ago - According to Jim Cordeira over at Gaming-Age, the long-awaited Firmware 2.4 update for PlayStation 3 will hit later this summer, complete with a universal friends list and In-Game XMB functionality.
While Sony has yet to comment, it's no secret that a major firmware release is due out soon. Back in March, SCEE UK head Ray Maguire made mention of 2.4, but did not provide specifics - aside from confirming that the update would hit in the summer and include "In-Game communication."
An EA employee who goes by the alias of "evilone" on NeoGAF gave credence to Jim's report, noting that "there is more then just In-Game XMB coming in 2.40."
Until it's release, we're still filing this as a rumor, but there is a good chance it's legit... time will tell for sure.
291w ago - With the great ongoing work in our PS3 Forums with the RCO files, we are also going to talk about component two of the PS3's XMB includes- its XML Files!
Inside the directory exists 30 XML files. They control quite a bit in regards to the PS3's appearance and functioning, from telling the XMB what types of information to display, all the way to letting you download PlayStation Home!
Do make sure to check out the attached image, as it is code snippets of the XML files we're speaking of below.
For example, in category_game.xml, it appears upon disc insertion, the insertion is added into a database, along with what type of media it's on (CD/DVD/BDVD), and if it detects, what format it is (PS1/PS2/PS3) and so on. Now there are your different media types of course: PS1 CD, PS2 CD, PS2 DVD, PS3 DVD, PS3 BD.
Additionally, in that particular XML file pertinent game information is stored in a similar fashion such as game saves, including the type of Memory Card, if it is from Memory Stick, USB, Internal, Virtual, or through a PS2-USB Memory Card is also stored.
Also a hint for what's coming from Sony.. quite a few references to the Trophy room,...
300w ago - According to rumors in the PSM3 magazine, we are going to have to wait a few months to see in game XMB. The magazine also states that Sony may soon make a big announcement about Home, that will reveal achievements to rival the Xbox live system.
To quote: Dubbed 'the man who knows too much', their insider teases us with some of the latest PlayStation murmurings:
- In game XMB will be coming, however not for a few months yet.
- He tells us to expect a 'big' announcement involving Home, including information about 'trophies' or achievements "to rival the Xbox live system".
- A sequel for a popular Xbox 360 title will be 'received' soon, and that it will be making its first appearance on the PS3, he also states this isn't Lost Planet.
- He also suggests that any big 2008 announcements which Sony has for the PS3 will not come in the form of new games, however there are surprises in store, and they will focus on firmware and the PS network side.
- Finally Ubisoft are apparently about to make some big announcements. Due to occur around the Ubi Days event this May in Paris. His tips include Alive, Assassins Creed 2 and Prince of Persia.
303w ago - The single biggest gripe PS3 owners have - CONSTANTLY - is not being able to access the XMB menu while in a game to change settings, chat and send messages and invites (think the 'guide blade' on Xbox 360).
Well, these T-shirts have been spotted at GDC (Game Developers Conference)... and it would seem Sony have found it rather amusing.