245w ago - Just before the weekend, slouken posted (linked above) the following PS3 Linux SDL video support patch news:
Hello. This patch provides basic support for video on the Sony PS3 Linux framebuffer.
Scaling, format-conversion, and drawing is done from the SPEs, so there is little performance impact to PPE applications.
This is by no means production quality code, but it is a very good start and a good example of how to use the PS3's hardware capabilities to accelerate video playback on the box.
The driver has been verified to work with ffplay, mplayer and xine. This piece of software has been developed at the IBM R&D Lab in Boeblingen, Germany and is now returned to the community. Enjoy !
SDL on Sony PlayStation 3
First, you have to install the Cell SDK:
• Download the Cell SDK installer RPM and ISO images to a temporary directory such as /tmp/cellsdk.
• Mount the image: mount -o loop CellSDK-Devel-Fedora_126.96.36.199.0.iso /tmp/cellsdk
• Install the SDK installer: rpm -ivh cell-install-3.1.0-0.0.noarch.rpm
• Install the SDK: cd /opt/cell && ./cellsdk --iso /tmp/cellsdkiso install
You need to install the SPU-libs before installing SDL:
• Go to SDL-1.2/src/video/ps3/spulibs/
245w ago - I came across this site looking for Linux, but this looked like it would be better perhaps.
Hardware Requirements • A computer to download and copy files on to media.
• Playstation3 with: USB Keyboard and Mouse (A Wireless USB Keyboard & Mouse is even better)
• Any of the following recording media: USB Flash or HD drive, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, BD-R, or BD-RE disc. If the PS3 has memory card slots: Memory Stick, SD memory card, or CompactFlash.
Installation • Download bootloader 'pdaXrom-ng-otheros.bld', rename it to 'otheros.bld'.
• On your USB stick or CD create the directory /PS3/otheros/ and copy 'otheros.bld' file to it.
• Insert CD or a plug USB stick into PS3 and go to System->System Settings->Install Other OS. PS3 should find and install bootloader.
• Go to...
248w ago - To quote, courtesy of Slashdot (linked above) today: The PlayStation 3 has recently seen an explosion of releases of emulators and games for the Yellow Dog Linux distro on Sony's PS3 console.
Once you have installed Yellow Dog Linux you then have the ability to try out numerous applications and emulators including MAME, SNES, Amiga, Dos, Commodore and Atari emulators (that's the tip of the iceberg) and such games as Quake 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Hexen 2 and Alephone.