- Just before the weekend, slouken
posted (linked above) the following PS3 Linux SDL video support patch news:
Hello. This patch provides basic support for video on the Sony PS3 Linux framebuffer.
Scaling, format-conversion, and drawing is done from the SPEs, so there is little performance impact to PPE applications.
This is by no means production quality code, but it is a very good start and a good example of how to use the PS3's hardware capabilities to accelerate video playback on the box.
The driver has been verified to work with ffplay, mplayer and xine. This piece of software has been developed at the IBM R&D Lab in Boeblingen, Germany and is now returned to the community. Enjoy !
SDL on Sony PlayStation 3
First, you have to install the Cell SDK:
• Download the Cell SDK installer RPM and ISO images to a temporary directory such as /tmp/cellsdk.
• Mount the image: mount -o loop CellSDK-Devel-Fedora_22.214.171.124.0.iso /tmp/cellsdk
• Install the SDK installer: rpm -ivh cell-install-3.1.0-0.0.noarch.rpm
• Install the SDK: cd /opt/cell && ./cellsdk --iso /tmp/cellsdkiso install
You need to install the SPU-libs before installing SDL:
• Go to SDL-1.2/src/video/ps3/spulibs/