200w ago - Today xorloser has shared a PS3 Hypervisor Dump setup script for IDA (Interactive Disassembler), which automatically sets up function tables, resolves rtoc offsets and finds some common functions in PlayStation 3 Hypervisor Dumps for easier reversing.
Additionally, titanmkd has updated the script with a patch available HERE, and as a result xorloser has now made his more compatible with older versions of IDA and updated it yet again with peek/poke calls labeled.
To quote: "It seems someone took some initiative and made some software themselves to dump the hypervisor once they have the correct hardware and software. So for anyone who has used that and dumped their own hypervisor I present...
1. If you do not already have 010 Editor -> Download and install a free 30-day trial for Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 of 010 Editor.
2. Unzip the archive (PS3MemDump_HTAB_PTE.zip) in attachement in your documents path for example C:/MyDocuments/SweetScape/010 Templates/
3. Start 010 Editor.
4. Click on shortcut Ctrl+O (menu File -> Open File...) and choose the file PS3_Memory_Dump.bin.
5. Click on shortcut Ctrl+F5 (menu Templates -> Open Templates...) and choose the file PS3MemDump_HTAB_PTE.bt.
6. Click on shortcut F5 (menu Templates...
201w ago - A few weeks back GeoHot Hacked PS3, and now a new patent has surfaced from Kanna Shimizu of IBM for a method to protect secrets against encrypted section attacks.
SKFU writes: It seems it is SONY's answer for GeoHot's progress.
Take a look here, to quote: "A method, system, and computer-usable medium are disclosed for controlling unauthorized access to encrypted application program code. Predetermined program code is encrypted with a first key.
The hash value of an application verification certificate associated with a second key is calculated by performing a one-way hash function. Binding operations are then performed with the first key and the calculated hash value to generate a third key, which is a binding key.
The binding key is encrypted with a fourth key to generate an encrypted binding key, which is then embedded in the application. The application is digitally signed with a fifth key to generate an encrypted and signed program code image.
To decrypt the encrypted program code, the application verification key certificate is verified and in turn is used to verify the authenticity of the...