231w ago - PCWorld had the opportunity to interview Sony's Director of Network Operations Eric Lempel to get answers to several topics including PS3 Firmware Updates, NXE and Hulu.
For the complete interview see the link above, but below are some excepts from it, as follows:
When asked why Sony doesn't provide more PS3 Firmware Update details on the PlayStation Blog, Lempel stated:
"Well basically in the updates that we do on the blog, it's really to tell consumers this is what you can do today with your PS3, or in the next few days when we release a firmware update.
It isn't about diving into the tech and letting them know six months from now you're going to see a game that may have better effects in a certain area because we've put this in such and such update. That's not as digestible for the majority of consumers. It just won't work."
When asked if Microsoft's NXE debut mimicked the PS3 XMB, he stated:
"You know, I didn't really think about it that way. I mean, I saw some comparisons when it came out, but that's very interesting that you say that. You know, hey, it's great, if they like our interface and want to copy it, as long as that's legal, sure. I don't really know...
246w ago - With the start of the company's new fiscal year, Sony is devoted to pushing the PS3 as a gaming console, and has slashed prices for PS3 dev kits, as well as upgraded them to attract more developers.
To quote: In what it describes as a move to "further strengthen its support for game development on PlayStation 3," Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. is introducing a range of tool updates at lower prices.
Sony introduced new dev kit models at reduced prices: DECR-1400A for North America ($2,000) and Europe/PAL territories (€1,700), and DECR-1400J for Japan (200,000 yen). The company says the new models are the same in form factor to the commercial PS3, and claims they increase programming capabilities and graphics rendering efficiency.
At GDC 2009 today, SCE also introduced PhyreEngine version 2.40, an update to its graphics rendering engine. It includes a new "foliage rendering" system for trees and plants.
SCE will also provide a suite of tech support services for PS3 developers, promising to improve the SNC PPU toolchain, a compiler included in the SDK since February 2008.
Said the company in a statement: "With more and more new and exciting PS3 titles scheduled...
258w ago - With all the hustle and bustle of the holidays, here is some PlayStation 3 news that we missed from earlier this month.
That being said, ps3mediaserver has been working on PS3 Media Server which is a DLNA compliant Upnp Media Server for the PlayStation 3, written in Java, with the purpose of streaming or transcoding any kind of media files, with minimum configuration. It's backed up with the powerful Mplayer/FFmpeg packages.
• Ready to launch and play. No codec packs to install. No folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing. All your folders are directly browsed by the PS3, there's an automatic refresh also.
• Real-time video transcoding via MEncoder, tsMuxer or Avisynth
• DVD ISOs images / VIDEO_TS Folder transcoder...
262w ago - The US Producer of SingStar, Aaron Orsak, shared the following via PS Blog today:
With SingStar ABBA hitting the shelves today for PLAYSTATION 3 and PlayStation 2, we wanted to share with you some new SingStar updates.
We've been listening to your feedback over the last few months and wanted to let you know that we will be adding 60+ songs to the North American SingStore over the next few months.
We'll be sure to keep you all posted as we begin rolling out new songs to the SingStore. In the meantime, here's a highlight of songs to appear in the coming weeks:
• UB40 - 'Red Red Wine'
• Billy Joel - 'We Didn't Start the Fire'
• Chumbawamba- 'Tubthumping'
• David Bowie- 'Let's Dance'
• Pink - 'Get the Party Started'
• Queen- 'The Show Must Go On'
• New Order- 'Blue Monday 88′
• Men at Work - 'Down Under'
• Starship - 'We Built This City'
Just in time for the holidays we will also be releasing a Christmas song pack to the SingStore in mid-December featuring popular Christmas carols from top artists such as Toni Braxton, Celine Dion and Paul McCartney. The pack will be available for $6.99 and will include the following tracks:
284w ago - Thanks to reader Ben Torode, we've got a proper translation of this Watch Impress article, detailing a number of new features coming to 2.40 not yet mentioned by SCEA, as far as we know:
1. The way to quit games has also been modified in line with these changes, and a game can be exited by pressing the PS button during a game and selecting "Game" then "Quit Game" from the XMB.
2. On the XMB in general, added functions include a clock displayed on the XMB, a function to delete all entered text in the entry field when using text entry with a keyboard, and a function which displays an icon to indicate when operation of the PS button is disabled.
3. In "Users" under the XMB, an item has been added to power off the PS3 console. Under "Settings", options have been added to automatically power off after a system software update, and "assign controller", "controller vibration function" settings have been added under "accessory settings".
4. Under "Photos", as well as photos within a playlist becoming printable, when photos are sorted by month or year taken, an ascending and descending order option has been added.
5. Under "Music", a mini control panel can now be displayed while playing music, as well...