- MediaMall is on the verge of announcing their Wii PlayOn beta, which has been in quiet testing for a while now.
What this means to you: For about $40, you'll be able to stream Hulu and Netflix to your Wii!
To quote: PlayOn
's been around on the Xbox and PS3 since last year, as well as on all kinds of DLNA-compliant TVs–it's essentially a super-compatible Web interface for video services that don't work on certain platforms–and we knew it was headed Wii-ward from the start.
This is a step, and a sign that the service will actually materialize sometime soon, but it probably won't include a specific, formal release date.
• PlayOn support for Nintendo's Wii in Beta.
• This is the first time PlayOn is able to control the user interface (and we spent significant time designing it)
• It is available for a free 14-day full-featured trial at www.playon.tv; after that it is a one-time $39.99 fee to purchase a license
• It is the same software that supports the PS3 and XBOX360, so if you already have a license or active trial, it will work on your Wii as well
• PlayOn uses the "Internet Channel" on the Wii
• How it works: You can find the PlayOn Media Server(s) by opening the "Internet Channel"...