118w ago - Today Reuters (linked above) reports that Sony has hired the former director of the U.S. National Cyber Security Center Philip Reitinger to oversee PSN security in an effort to prevent further breaches in their network.
To quote: "Certainly the network issue was a catalyst for the appointment," a Sony spokesman said. "We are looking to bolster our network security even further."
Shares in Sony have fallen 55 percent since the company revealed the hacking on April 27, sparking widespread criticism and casting a shadow over its plans for expansion in online businesses including music and movie distribution.
Concerns about losses in the TV department and the yen's rise against the euro have also contributed to Sony's woes.
Reitinger, who has also worked for Microsoft and the U.S. Department of Defense, will be based in Washington."
213w ago - Just over a week ago it was reported that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for XBox 360 was leaked early to the Internet.
Since then, a pirate who advertised his services of Modern Warfare 2 and an XBox 360 before the street launch of the game has been busted by Activision with the help of an online detective they hired.
Apparently the whole process took less than a week for him to be located and busted, according to Rob Holmes, owner of IPCybercrime.
To quote from VentureBeat.com (linked above): "This kid was in a position to sell thousands of these," Holmes said.
Police interrogated the runner, who led them to Christian Del Amo's home. They then arrested Del Amo yesterday. Del Amo's attorney has not returned a call for comment.
The whole process, from finding the first tip to the bust, took less than a week. While the operation snagged a perpetrator, it didn't move fast enough to prevent the massive copying of the game on the torrents on the Internet.
"Hopefully it is a lesson," said Holmes. "If you try to do piracy on a large scale, you will get caught. When you use the Internet, you always leave tracks somewhere."
- Usermode builds now works.
- Dipswitches settings added.
- Some Z80 core speedups.
- Vector based games like Asteroids now run at native resolution of 480Ã–272 pixels.
- Preliminary memory management to clean-up things in certain romset (due to original MAME bugs) before starting a new emulation.
- In case of memory fragmentation errors emulator now quits without lockups.
- Better sound support in certain games, like Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles etc.
- Graphics themes disabled in 1.50 kernel mode to gain more memory available, used a simple blue gradient instead.
- Graphics mode saved with settings.
- Crash when sampled used.
- Unified builds, thanks to new Z80 core, Mame 0.53 based, compatible with system16, Neo Geo and classic roms.
- Implemented PSP-2000 (slim) specific support, so double memory available to load roms, thanks to keiich-san code.