245w ago - According to AltPlusF4.com (linked above), PS3 Firmware 2.70 is causing bricked systems. However, they are not bricked, just 'locked up' primarily due to certain brands of PS2 to PS3 USB adapters being plugged into the system.
So for now, simply do not use these adapters on the new firmware.
To quote: The PS3's 2.70 firmware is causing some havoc out there with reports of bricked systems. They're not bricked, do not reformat.
If you have certain brands of PS2 to PS3 USB adapters plugged into the system on boot you'll get a blank screen, no sound and won't be able to connect your controller (adapter controller AND PS3 wireless controllers).
If you get the firmware update installed fine and then plug in your adapter, you'll lock the system up and have to do a hard reset. The only solution to this issue right now is simple - unplug the adapter and don't use it for now.
We know of two adapters currently (there are likely more) that are causing faux-bricks: TAC and Sumoto.
This is affecting quite a few people that use older controllers/instruments for game such as Guitar Hero and Rock Band so you can bet they'll make enough noise for Sony to hear them. With any luck, it will be a simple fix that they can get out fast to users.
245w ago - I can't count how many times I and many others have told people to not get their hopes up with PS3 firmware updates. Sony didn't 'shaft' anyone.
They haven't even hinted there was a firmware update coming out for the PlayStation 3. Loads of blogs/Web sites have reported what could come in the next firmware update - but why all the hype? Sony hasn't said if the rumored features were true or not. Why are you pissed at Sony?
They're called rumors for a reason. Sure, some of them end up being true, but chances are it's nothing more than an eager fanboy begging for features the competition already has to offer.
Others who want to believe these rumors will probably end up being disappointed, maybe even angry if they're ultra-fanboys. It's like they're fighting with themselves (which is actually pretty funny).
On that note, I just want to say - keep the excitement meter to a maximum-minimum (add that to your vocabulary). If you find clues to what could possibly point to anything, tell people about it. And maybe, just maybe - it could end up being true.
245w ago - Earlier on Sony confirmed some of the features included in the PS3 Firmware 2.70 Update, and then PS3 Firmware 2.70 was released.
Now we have the complete changelog available, as detailed below:
• You can now perform text chat with people who are on you Friends list. You can chat with them while you are playing a game.
• To use this feature, go to [Friends] > [Start New Chat], and then select [Text Chat].
• Using the Internet you can now easily search for the latest information about the games you own. To use this feature select the icon for the game, and then select [Internet Search] from the options menu.
• You can now copy and paste text.
• You can copy test from the Internet browser and past it into the text entry field of the on-screen keyboard to make it easier to enter text.
• You can now set an option to reduce the difference in the volume level between track to help avoid sudden, loud output.
• You can set this option in [Settings] > [Music Settings] > [Dynamic Normalizer].