- Browsing various sites, I have come across this awesome new emulator of the PSP system called PPSSPP, a fast and portable PSP emulator with a work-in-progress (WIP) demo video below.
Download: PPSSPP PSP Emulator WIP
/ PPSSPP PSP Emulator Download Page
Again this is not for the PSP but it a PSP emulator, now what makes this stand apart, is that it is open source but it is also multi platform, and by multi platform i mean almost anything out there can run from apple devices to android (yes phones can run it as well) to Windows, to Linux.
There is one slight drawback though it is still in early development and only plays a certain amount of games not full fledged (PPSSPP Compatibility List
) but homebrew and certain low end graphical games, however, this does show promise. Read more about this in the quote below.
To quote: PPSSPP is an open source project, licensed under the GPL 2.0. Anyone is welcome to contribute their improvements to the code, and the hope is that over time this will resolve the compatibility problem.
Fast and portable
PPSSPP is written in C++, and translates PSP CPU instructions directly into optimized x86, x64 and (soon) ARM machine code, using an efficient JIT compiler.
PPSSPP can thus run on quite low-spec hardware, including stronger Android phones and tablets, as long as there’s support for OpenGL ES 2.0.
A video of it in action is also available below.
Finally, in related news today PlayStation Portable homebrew developer Soywiz
has updated his PSP emulator to PSP Emulator r555 for Windows/Linux with the changes outlined below.
Download: cspspemu-2013-08-15 + r555 + windows + linux + src.7z
Changelog for Revision 555 (2013-08-15)
- Improved sasCore so using it now plays games better notes
- Improved rendering speed. Now 3d games Should be faster.
- Fixes on VFPU so Vallhala Knights is now showing skinned characters (still have some issues)
- A CWCheat form editor.
- Apply hq2x to textures
- View and edit textures With The new texture editor (it Generates a. Texmap linked to the executable file folder so it will be loaded each time) and you can customize or Improve textures.
- Added fullscreen antialiasing SMAA.