- Following up on their previous
Firmware update, Sony Product Planning & Platform Software Innovation Director Don Mesa
has announced that PS Vita System Software update v2.10 is incoming and includes a new folder system.
The new folder system allows users to organize their games and apps, and as expected patches the recently released Apache Overkill exploit
and purportedly blocks Open CMA for those on PS Vita Firmware 2.10 according to mixed reports.
Download: PS Vita Firmware 2.10 Update (USA)
/ PS Vita Firmware 2.10 Update (EUR)
/ PS Vita Firmware 2.10 Update (JPN)
Coming later this evening is the next system software update for PS Vita. We've listened to your feedback and have included many improvements to make your PS Vita experience much more enjoyable, such as adding a new folder system that allows you to organize your games and apps.
Here's a look at some of the new enhancements you can expect with software update v.2.10:
• Create folders to more easily manage your favorite application icons on the home screen, with up to 10 icons in each folder and a maximum of 100 on the home screen (including icons inside the folders).
• Verify which PS Vita card you are using by looking at the home screen's info bar. You can also save the layout of your home screen icons in the memory card.
• Added video support allows you to play videos within the browser (memory card required; some videos are not supported).
• New email enhancements allows you to view HTML messages, add multiple email addresses to your contacts, and easily search your messages using the new search feature.
• PlayStation Plus members will be able to automatically update PlayStation Mobile format software and upload game save data onto online storage using 3G connection.
• New "Mute Automatically" option will mute your PS Vita speakers when your headset is unplugged and pause your music when using the music app.
For additional information on PS Vita update v2.10, including how to update your system, please visit this page
when the update goes live.
As always, let us know what you think about the new enhancements in the comment section below.
As usually Sony has a grudge against Vita users playing their retro games and harmless homebrews and have blocked VHBL on Firmware 2.06 with the usermode Apache Overkill exploit. So if you would like to keep your exploit do not update or it will no longer work.
If you plan on updating you may want to delete your homebrew using PSPFILER to conserve space; if a new usermode exploit happens to be released it will still be there if you decide to not delete it. Open CMA should still be working as normal too.
: It seems some reports are coming in that Open CMA no longer works on 2.10 and above but is working on lower firmwares. We will look into this further and see what can be done.
Finally, below is the complete PlayStation Vita 2.10 changelog, as follows:
• You can now manage icons on the home screen in folders.
• An icon now appears on the info bar when a PS Vita card is inserted.
• You can now watch streaming videos on a web page - To watch streaming videos, a memory card must be inserted in your PS Vita system (some types of videos cannot be played).
• Email messages in HTML format can now be displayed - You can enlarge and read email messages that are in HTML format. When reading the message, double tap the screen to zoom in. The area around the spot you double tap is enlarged. Double tap the screen again to zoom out and return the message to its original size. You can also zoom in by pinching the screen out and zoom out by pinching the screen in.
• Up to five email addresses can now be added to a single contact - Tap (Contact List) > (Options) and follow the on-screen instructions.
• [Body] has been added as a search target for email messages.
• When you tap [Other] to add an email account, the information you add has been simplified.
• Folder assignments of email accounts support IMAP have been improved.
• All contacts can now be deleted at once. You can delete the contact list after tapping (Options) > [Settings] > [Format Application Database] to delete the account.
• [Mute Automatically] has been added under [Sound & Display] as an option - When this setting is turned on and headphones are disconnected from the headset jack, audio from the PS Vita system's speakers is automatically muted. To restore the original volume, press the VOL + button or the VOL - button. When listening to music under (Music), tap (Play).
• The number of applications you can control using the buttons on the PS Vita system has been increased.
• [Use Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode] has been added under [Power Save Settings] as an option.
• [Disconnect Wi-Fi Connection Automatically] under [Network] > [Wi-Fi Settings] has been removed.
• Update files for your purchased PlayStation Mobile format software can now be automatically downloaded. To use this feature, a subscription to PlayStation Plus is necessary. Tap the (Settings) > [Start] > [PlayStation Network] > [Automatic Update Settings] > [Update Automatically] checkbox to set a checkmark (a connection to the Internet using a Wi-Fi connection might be required to automatically update).
• When reporting content purchased from PlayStation Mobile as inappropriate, details can now be included.
• Multiple contacts can now be selected at once when a new message is created. Contacts can be selected from [Friends] and [Party].
• Still images can now be displayed in high resolution when enlarged.
• You can now upload or download saved data for games to (Online Storage) using a mobile network. To use this feature, a subscription to PlayStation Plus is necessary.
• When you copy PS Vita format software from a PS3 system, you can now check whether update data is available and automatically download it (the system software of the PS3 system must be version 4.40 or later).
• You can now add a name to PS Vita system backup data when saving it to a PS3 system or a computer (Windows/Mac) - The system software of the PS3 system must be version 4.40 or later (the Content Manager Assistant for PlayStation on your computer must be updated.