- Today SCEE's James Gallagher
has unveiled news of upcoming Social Applications for PS Vita alongside new games and official specifications from Gamescom 2011.
To quote: PlayStation Vita's promise of pairing the cutting-edge game experiences PlayStation is famed for with the always connected, social experiences modern consumers are used to, all in a sleek portable device, became clearer at Gamescom
At the SCEE press conference we learned that Facebook, Twitter, Skype and Foursquare applications will be available on Vita alongside such social features as:
find out what your friends in the vicinity are playing now or what they were playing recently. Meet new players virtually, regardless of what games they are playing, simply by sharing their game information across different dimensions of time and distance.
Enjoy voice chat or text chat not only during online gaming, but also when users are playing different games or using different applications such as the internet browser.
SCEE President and CEO Andrew House
declared that "PlayStation is about games and PlayStation Vita is a breakthrough portable entertainment system that will thrill gamers."
We saw even more examples unveiled in Resistance Burning Skies, a new Resistance experience developed specifically for PS Vita featuring an all-new timeline, levels, and environments, and Escape Plan, a slapstick puzzle game where you use touch controls to guide Lil and Laarg through a labyrinth of booby traps.
This is in addition to such previously announced first-party games as Uncharted: Golden Abyss and WipEout 2048, as well as strong support from third-party publishers, with Assassin's Creed and FIFA joining BioShock, Call of Duty and Virtua Tennis as top game series confirmed for PlayStation Vita.
This isn't all that was announced at the SCEE gamescom press conference: be sure to read our posts on the PS3 price cut and the unveiling of the brand new PSP E-1000 model.
You can also watch the full press conference
right here on PlayStation.Blog until 6pm BST / 7pm CET on Wednesday.
PlayStation Vita Product Outline
Model number: PCH-1000 series
CPU: ARM Cortex-A9 core (4 core)
External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
Screen (Touch screen): 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
Main memory: 512MB
• Rear touch pad
• Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
• Front camera, Rear camera
Frame rate: 120fps@320x240(QVGA), 60fps@640x480(VGA)
Resolution: Up to 640x480(VGA)
• Built-in stereo speakers
• Built-in microphone
• Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
• Built-in GPS (3G/Wi-Fi model only)
• Wi-Fi location service support
Keys / Switches
• PS button
• Power button
• Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
• Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
• Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
• Right stick, Left stick
• START button, SELECT button
• Volume buttons (+/-)
• Mobile network connectivity (3G/Wi-Fi model only)
• IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
• Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)
• PlayStation Vita card slot
• Memory card slot
• SIM card slot (3G/Wi-Fi model only)
• Multi-use port (for USB data communication, DC IN, Audio (Stereo Out / Mono In), Serial data communication),
• Headset jack (Stereo mini jack) (for Audio (Stereo Out / Mono In))
• Accessory port
• Built-In Lithium-ion Battery,
• AC adaptor
Supported AV content format
• MP3 MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer 3, MP4 (MPEG-4 AAC), WAVE (Linear PCM)
• MPEG-4 Simple Profile (AAC), H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High/Main/Baseline Profile (AAC)
• JPEG (Exif 2.2.1), TIFF, BMP, GIF, PNG