- Sony has announced plans to bring a new red, God of War themed PSP bundle over to North America at the Destination PlayStation retail trade show.
The bundle will include God of War: Chains of Olympus, a UMD copy of Superbad, and a voucher good for a free copy of PSN title Syphon Filter: Combat Ops.
Scheduled for a release in June, the God of War PSP bundle is expected to retail at $199.99.
Press Release: SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA TO UNLEASH KRATOS IN LIMITED-EDITION GOD OF WAR® PSP® ENTERTAINMENT PACK
Package Includes "Deep Red" PSP with Kratos Silkscreen, God of War®: Chains of Olympus, Superbad on UMD Video and Voucher to Download Syphon Filter®: Combat Ops
Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced the God of War® PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) Entertainment Pack, a limited-edition offering that celebrates the debut of the best-selling God of War franchise on PSP. This special bundle will feature a limited-edition "Deep Red" PSP with the God of War himself, Kratos, silkscreened on the back of the unit; the highly anticipated God of War®: Chains of Olympus game; the hit comedy movie from Columbia Pictures, Superbad, on UMD™ (Universal Media Disc); and a PLAYSTATION®Network voucher to download the Syphon Filter®: Combat Ops from the PLAYSTATION®Store for free*.
"God of War is one of the biggest PlayStation franchises, and with its portable premiere on PSP just around the corner, we wanted to offer something special that would appeal to both loyal God of War fans and non-owners who want to enjoy PSP's multi-functionality," said Scott A. Steinberg, vice president, product marketing, SCEA. "This bundle delivers great value, starting with the 'Deep Red' PSP - one of the most highly sought-after colors based on our consumer research - and the Kratos silkscreen. We're also showcasing the diverse entertainment experience PSP offers, centered on a UMD game in God of War: Chains of Olympus that's every bit as impressive as its console sequels, a free download of IGN.com's 2007 PSP Multiplayer Game of the Year -
Syphon Filter: Combat Ops, and a box office hit movie in Superbad."
The standalone version of God of War: Chains of Olympus launches on March 4. The
God of War PSP Entertainment Pack will be available for $199.99 (MSRP) in June 2008 and includes the following components.
• "Deep Red" PSP system with an image of Kratos silkscreened on the back of the unit; this is the only time that this special PSP color will be offered in North America.
• God of War: Chains of Olympus, developed as a joint collaboration by Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios (WWS) Santa Monica Studios and the team that created Daxter™, Ready At Dawn® Studios, is a must-have for PSP owners, and retailer pre-order sales have been very strong. Developed from the outset as an original story, God of War: Chains of Olympus takes place before the events of the original
God of War, delivering yet another adventure in the dark and brutal world of Greek Mythology that fans of the franchise have come to know and love.
• Superbad UMD video - This 2007 box-office comedy hit from Columbia Pictures is a gut-busting coming-of-age comedy for a new generation.
• Syphon Filter: Combat Ops voucher - Download the PLAYSTATION Network exclusive title, Syphon Filter: Combat Ops, to your Memory Stick PRO Duo™ for free* with the included voucher. Developed by SCE's WWS Bend Studios, this latest edition to critically acclaimed stealth action franchise was named the 2007 PSP Multiplayer Game of the Year by IGN.com. The title is currently available for $9.99 on PLAYSTATION Store (http://store.playstation.com).
Momentum for the PSP platform has soared since the fall 2007 launch of the slimmer and lighter PSP system and the introduction of new colors in the Daxter and Star Wars Battlefront® PSP Entertainment Packs. Over the holiday season, more than 1.4 million PSP systems were sold in North America, demonstrating strong consumer interest in limited-edition bundles that combine new colors and exciting content or accessories. The God of War Entertainment Pack will build on this trend, and SCEA will support the bundle with an integrated marketing campaign that ties into the God of War: Chains of Olympus software campaign. Dedicated print, online, and direct marketing, as well as public relations support and targeted promotional opportunities, will drive the God of War Entertainment Pack campaign. SCEA will continue to offer the PSP Core Pack.
*Memory Stick Pro DUO and PLAYSTATION Network registration are required. User responsible for all applicable Internet fees.