142w ago - A few days back we saw the x3JailBreak PS JailBreak clone in action, and today the PS3 modchip's official site (linked above) is updated stating that shipping will begin tomorrow and there will be an online verification for updates.
They've listed a number of new features, including account based updates (after verification, so clones don't get access to updates),
future expansion promise.
Realizing the existence of much cheaper homebrew hardware options, they're saying their hardwre is competitively priced to those (teensy++ etc).
Here's their update with the list of features, to quote:
• X3JailBreak will start shipping the 100 samples, starting 2moro(today ;p) (sep 3rd to sep 6th).
• Future updates will need a per user-copy basis (to make clones fail to get the updates ;p, which might get circumvented by open source hack methods anyway)
• X3jailbreak.com will be shipping our samples out to 100 selected requests starting Sept 3rd-Sept 6th and x3jailbreak are now taking pre-orders which will start shipping by the end of next week (Sept 10th-13th). Feel free to submit your pre-orders today.
• Our goal at x3jailbreak was to provide you as customers a powerful, quality and low cost solution.
• Even with recent events you will still be able to purchase our x3jailbreak for lower then any other device available including new homebrew devices suggested online.
• You will receive a quality dongle that is completely functioning and ready to use as soon as it arrives.
• Our X3jailbreak features include the following:
1) Larger case for ease of use and less change of misplacing or losing your dongle.
2) More Powerful (competition using 8 bit processor compared to x3 is using a 32 bit operating processor)
3) Hardware USB compared to where PSJ is software emulated
4) As updates become available x3jailbreak is easily upgradable.
5) Expansion ports for upcoming features/add-on
• Your X3 will come with a serial number to use online to verify proof that your x3jailbreak is authentic and also you will be able to use your serial number to access the download area when new updates become available.
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
Yea they are not competitively priced.. more like twice the amount for a Teensy++. I'd still take a Teensy which can run any code u want it to, unlike this that is locked in to dealer support... and if you guys know how the Wiikey team was with updates (lack of), that's another point to be aware of. End users we're left high and dry when the homebrew scene was allowing booting and update support of all the Big N's updates to kill them off.
I read $50-$60. If $18 teensy are profitable, then $50-$60 is a killer mark up!
More clones will come and price wars a bring these puppies under $40 in no time. You will have enough end users willing to pay a premium for clone that has a nice looking enclosure instead of these bare boards.