To quote, roughly translated: "Very soon after its released version 4.00 debug Sony decides to release a Firmware 4.01 for stamped its consoles Test / Debug. We remind you that this type of firmware is not installed on the consoles so-called "Retail" we just buy in the store.
No changelog available at this time. See us before long a 4.01 in our living room, only time will tell. The file is available for download if you want to update your console to Test / Debug."
As always, these PUP updates will currently NOT install on a retail PS3, and so they are intended for examination and comparison purposes only.
We have 100% confirmed that running this updater on a retail PS3 will not damage it, however, it will give the following error before the installation completes: The data type is not supported. (8002F029)
Finally, in related news cotojestwtf has made available a Pendrive SWAP Mod + Way to Backups PS1/PS2 and PS3 on Debug Unit guide for those interested as follows:
I decided to share my work. Let's started.. Pendrive SWAP Mod it's like .tiff exploit. It hangs a system when you run a game, then u can swap a PS1/PS2 Game on Retail. But on Debug Unit PS3 Game recorded to BR!
Intructions to run a PS1/PS2 Backup RETAIL/DEBUG CONSOLE ONLY:
1. Format your pendrive to fat32.
2. Run SWAPMOD.exe and install it to your pendrive.
3. Run the PlayStation 3.
4. Insert original CD/DVD PS1/PS2*.
5. Insert pendrive to PS3 USB.
6. Go to category photos on PS3.
7. Get in on visible device (your pendrive).
8. Wait a one minute on that, or long.
9. Run the original game from XMB, system will hang on your wallpaper. (BlackScreen = fail, repeat the operations)
10. Slide the original game and insert a pirate/backup game.
- if you running PS2 game, insert backup/pirate game from PS2.
- if you running PS1 game, insert backup/pirate game from PS1.
11. Remove a pendrive.
12. Now if you swapped a discs, PS3 will run the backup/pirate game.
*You can run PS2 games if your Unit have a compatible. Exploit still works on OFW 4.00
Intructions to run a PS3 Backup DEBUG CONSOLE ONLY:
1. Go to Debug Seetings
2. Search a NPDRM Debug option - set No Entitlement (80029513)
3. So now u just must do same things, they are listed above. But you swpp now a original PS3 game with pirate/backup game.
Note: BACKUP GAMES FOR PS3 MUST BE RECORDED ON BLURAY DISC.! OR IT WONT WORK
Tested on OFW Debug 4.01
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
Over the last few days several new PS3 Debug / Test Firmware updates have been leaked outside of Sony Dev and have surfaced publicly courtesy of Cairobeta and ConsoleDev, however, no new SDK files have yet since the previous PS3 3.41 SDK file leak.