To quote, roughly translated: "Very soon after its released version 4.00 debug Sony decides to release a Firmware 4.01 for stamped its consoles Test / Debug. We remind you that this type of firmware is not installed on the consoles so-called "Retail" we just buy in the store.
No changelog available at this time. See us before long a 4.01 in our living room, only time will tell. The file is available for download if you want to update your console to Test / Debug."
As always, these PUP updates will currently NOT install on a retail PS3, and so they are intended for examination and comparison purposes only.
We have 100% confirmed that running this updater on a retail PS3 will not damage it, however, it will give the following error before the installation completes: The data type is not supported. (8002F029)
Finally, in related news cotojestwtf has made available a Pendrive SWAP Mod + Way to Backups PS1/PS2 and PS3 on Debug Unit guide for those interested as follows:
I decided to share my work. Let's started.. Pendrive SWAP Mod it's like .tiff exploit. It hangs a system when you run a game, then u can swap a PS1/PS2 Game on Retail. But on Debug Unit PS3 Game recorded to BR!
Intructions to run a PS1/PS2 Backup RETAIL/DEBUG CONSOLE ONLY:
1. Format your pendrive to fat32.
2. Run SWAPMOD.exe and install it to your pendrive.
3. Run the PlayStation 3.
4. Insert original CD/DVD PS1/PS2*.
5. Insert pendrive to PS3 USB.
6. Go to category photos on PS3.
7. Get in on visible device (your pendrive).
8. Wait a one minute on that, or long.
9. Run the original game from XMB, system will hang on your wallpaper. (BlackScreen = fail, repeat the operations)
10. Slide the original game and insert a pirate/backup game.
- if you running PS2 game, insert backup/pirate game from PS2.
- if you running PS1 game, insert backup/pirate game from PS1.
11. Remove a pendrive.
12. Now if you swapped a discs, PS3 will run the backup/pirate game.
*You can run PS2 games if your Unit have a compatible. Exploit still works on OFW 4.00
Intructions to run a PS3 Backup DEBUG CONSOLE ONLY:
1. Go to Debug Seetings
2. Search a NPDRM Debug option - set No Entitlement (80029513)
3. So now u just must do same things, they are listed above. But you swpp now a original PS3 game with pirate/backup game.
Note: BACKUP GAMES FOR PS3 MUST BE RECORDED ON BLURAY DISC.! OR IT WONT WORK
Tested on OFW Debug 4.01
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
Tragedy, you say there is a way to downgrade from 3.56 to 3.55. Is this something you have done yourself? or read that someone has done this?
Because as I understand this, its just not passable unless the master base firmware has been leaked or created giving you the option to install the original firmware that said unit was shipped with, then upgrade back up to any ver you like.
The pups that we install are upgrades patches, hence the small size of only 180 megs ish, the full flash can be anything up to 250 odd megs in size depending on what unit it is, and it dose use some of the drive for storage, as you may or may not know.
So if you wanted to downgrade from 3.56 to 3.55 you would have to reinstall right back from the beginning to replace what was removed and locked in 3.55 and 3.56 and above.
Once you go past the 1st release of 3.55 it is game over, because home-brew will not work past 3.55 nor will blue rays on modded firmware. I believe that apples to debug and rebug as well, So backed up games is over if your over 3.55. Sad but true!