To quote, roughly translated: "Very soon after its released version 4.00 debug Sony decides to release a Firmware 4.01 for stamped its consoles Test / Debug. We remind you that this type of firmware is not installed on the consoles so-called "Retail" we just buy in the store.
No changelog available at this time. See us before long a 4.01 in our living room, only time will tell. The file is available for download if you want to update your console to Test / Debug."
As always, these PUP updates will currently NOT install on a retail PS3, and so they are intended for examination and comparison purposes only.
We have 100% confirmed that running this updater on a retail PS3 will not damage it, however, it will give the following error before the installation completes: The data type is not supported. (8002F029)
Finally, in related news cotojestwtf has made available a Pendrive SWAP Mod + Way to Backups PS1/PS2 and PS3 on Debug Unit guide for those interested as follows:
I decided to share my work. Let's started.. Pendrive SWAP Mod it's like .tiff exploit. It hangs a system when you run a game, then u can swap a PS1/PS2 Game on Retail. But on Debug Unit PS3 Game recorded to BR!
Intructions to run a PS1/PS2 Backup RETAIL/DEBUG CONSOLE ONLY:
1. Format your pendrive to fat32.
2. Run SWAPMOD.exe and install it to your pendrive.
3. Run the PlayStation 3.
4. Insert original CD/DVD PS1/PS2*.
5. Insert pendrive to PS3 USB.
6. Go to category photos on PS3.
7. Get in on visible device (your pendrive).
8. Wait a one minute on that, or long.
9. Run the original game from XMB, system will hang on your wallpaper. (BlackScreen = fail, repeat the operations)
10. Slide the original game and insert a pirate/backup game.
- if you running PS2 game, insert backup/pirate game from PS2.
- if you running PS1 game, insert backup/pirate game from PS1.
11. Remove a pendrive.
12. Now if you swapped a discs, PS3 will run the backup/pirate game.
*You can run PS2 games if your Unit have a compatible. Exploit still works on OFW 4.00
Intructions to run a PS3 Backup DEBUG CONSOLE ONLY:
1. Go to Debug Seetings
2. Search a NPDRM Debug option - set No Entitlement (80029513)
3. So now u just must do same things, they are listed above. But you swpp now a original PS3 game with pirate/backup game.
Note: BACKUP GAMES FOR PS3 MUST BE RECORDED ON BLURAY DISC.! OR IT WONT WORK
Tested on OFW Debug 4.01
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
As previously reported, those with converted PS3 consoles should hold off installing this update as it will brick your system.
From the included Readme_DECH-441_001_e.txt file:
Contents of This Package
Changes in Release 441.001
- The update data for debugging station has been updated at the same timing as the release of the system software 4.41.
This update does not affect titles. Also, there is no change in the system software GUI.
- Validation of a media or the file system itself cannot be performed from the Check menu in the Game column.
When submitting a master disc, make sure to verify the disc that no error is present using the Disc Image Generator for PlayStation 3 or the Disc Image Checker for PlayStation 3.
- When performing the check from the Check menu in the Game column, if the number of result files exceeds approximately 80 to 100 depending on each check item, the file entries of the root directory in the USB mass storage run out and the subsequent check result files may no longer be stored. In such case, move the check result files to another directory.
From haxxxen on how to manually add an RSOD bypass to any PS3 CFW:
If you decrypt the 4.x basic_plugins.sprx, just search for: 409E002048000010 and replace with: 4800002048000010
This is based on rogero's 4.x bypass patch and i have only searched for it to patch it myself to lower 4.x cfws. I dunno if it is related to rsod, but he also added some trophy patch. I am using both of them
To patch np_trophy_util.sprx based on rogero, just search for: 419E00887B5E0020 and replace with: 480000887B5E0020
Finally, from Sony PS3 hacker cyberskunk: It is legit.. MD5 matches the one we got about a month ago.. REX has been 'almost' ready for that long to but I have been very busy with other non-PS3 things. Wont be long though..
Spoofers/Update Packages for 421-441 CEX/DEX/REX were finished earlier today but have not had a chance to get around to releasing them yet
It's coming.. I have been really busy but as I type this the build that I hope to be the final for this release is installing now..