- Today PlayStation 3 developer bgK
has updated ScummVM, an implementation of LucasArts SCUMM interpreter emulator, to Build 20110605 for PS3 Custom Firmware users.
For those unaware, ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, provided you already have their data files.
Download: ScummVM Build 20110605 for PS3 CFW
/ ScummVM Build 20110605 for GeoHot/WutangRZA PS3 CFW
To quote: ScummVM on PS3
- A homebrew enabled PlayStation 3 console. As of now that mostly means having a custom firmware installed. Obtaining and installing such a software is out of the scope of this document. Sorry, but you’re on your own for that one.
- At least one ScummVM supported game. The list of compatible games can be seen here: http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/
- The page http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Where_to_get_the_games references some places where those games can be bought. Demonstration versions for most of the supported games are downloadable on http://scummvm.org/demos/
- An USB drive.
Configuring and playing games
- From a computer, download the installable package of the PS3 port from ScummVM’s main site. It should be a .pkg file. Copy it to an USB drive.
- After having plugged the USB drive to you PS3, the installation package should appear in the XMB under the “Games > Install Package” menu. Installing it copies ScummVM and its dependencies to your PS3′s hard drive. It also adds the “Games > PlayStation 3 > ScummVM” XMB entry which is to be used to launch ScummVM.
PlayStation 3 Specifics
- The user manual describes how to add games to ScummVM and launch them : http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_Manual
- Games can be launched either from an USB drive or from the internal hard drive. The internal hard drive has better performance though.
- Savegames are wrote in the /hdd0/game/SCUM12000/saves folder.
- Left stick => Mouse
- Cross => Left mouse button
- Circle => Right mouse button
- Triangle => Game menu (F5)
- Square => Escape
- Start => ScummVM’s in global game menu
- Select => Toggle virtual keyboard
- L1 => AGI predictive input dialog
Building from source
- Unauthorized distribution of an installable package with non freeware games included is a violation of the copyright law and is as such forbidden.
- This port of ScummVM to the PS3 is based on SDL. It uses the open source SDK PSL1GHT.
- The dependencies needed to build it are :
- The toolchain from https://github.com/ps3dev/ps3toolchain
- SDL from https://github.com/zeldin/SDL_PSL1GHT
- ScummVM from https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm
Once all the dependencies are correctly setup, an installable package can be obtained from source by issuing the following command :
./configure –host=ps3 && make ps3pkg