- Today r04drunner
has updated Red Ribbon GNU / Linux to Release Candidate 5 for the PS3 entertainment system.
Download: [Register or Login to view links]
To quote: Published Release Candidate 5 with the following changes:
- Fixed restart and shutdown problems.
- Fixed repositories list needed for distribution.
- Online updates available from the official distribution repositories.
- Fixed hostname problem.
- Added GFTP as FTP manager.
- Added a keyboard configurator.
- Fixed some problems with wireless connections on fat models.
- Network-Manager-Gnome is now the default network manager.
- Gnome-Bluetooth is now the default bluetooth manager.
The download link is available at the [Register or Login to view links]
You can upgrade the Red Ribbon installation from the online official repository, you don’t need to reinstall the distribution from CD.
This update is only designed for the RC 4 or lower with all previous updates.
You need to connect the PS3 to the internet, open a lxterminal and download the file:
Then, you can execute it:
sudo sh online-update-2011-09-01.sh
And wait until finished.
If while executing it asks:
You are running a kernel (version 2.6.38-powerpc64) and attempting to remove the same version. This is a potentially disastrous action. Not only will /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-powerpc64 be removed, making it impossible to boot it, (you will have to take action to change your boot loader to boot a new kernel), it will also remove all modules under the directory /lib/modules/2.6.38-powerpc64. Just having a copy of the kernel image is not enough, you will have to replace the modules too.
I repeat, this is very dangerous. If at all in doubt, answer Yes. If you know exactly what you are doing, and are prepared to hose your system, then answer No.
Do you want to abort removal now?
You must answer NO.