- While we await the start of our PS3 KeyVault Project
for retail PS3 consoles, below is a screenshot of something else I have been tinkering with recently via Debug.
As hinted by PS3News
, it is a Backup Launcher for a PS3 Development Unit as shown. At the moment it it still pre-Alpha and very incomplete, however it allows:
- Boot PS3 Games from HDD
- Boot PS3 Games from DVD/BD-ROM
- Copy Original PS3 Games from DVD/BD-ROM to HDD
- Patch the executable on some games to run from HDD
Note: This will ONLY
work on a DEVELOPMENT CONSOLE
, not a RETAIL PS3 unit!
To be added soon:
- Read PARAM.SFO for name/titleid, patch to menu (Alpha is hard-coded)
- Support for deleting games from the menu
- Support a few more games to start (Alpha is hard-coded for four)
- Possible support for a "select" menu, versus the button presses
Optimistic things to be added:
- A better GUI
- Backing up PS3 Game files to PC
For those curious, how it works briefly: when the launcher is started, you can copy a game to the PS3 HDD. It will create a folder on the hard disk and copy the Game files over (it's NOT an "ISO" Loader, it just launches the PS3 Game's files), identical to the way PSN's demos are installed.
The games are then launched using a relevant call, such as sceNpDrmProcessExitSpawn or sys_game_process_exitspawn2 (depending on location) and the loader then passes control off to the game, where it is run from.
That is about it for now, just wanted to share some progress. Soon another resident PS3 Dev may share news of a side-project he is working on too!