41w ago - Today PlayStation 3 developers mysis and eussNL on the Wiki have posted a method to get the PlayStation 2 (PS2) Software Emulator working on 3.55 CFW without a DRM-infected Cobra USB dongle for all PS3 Fat and Slim consoles.
To quote: Getting PlayStation 2 Software Emulator working
Method (on Firmware 3.55, without! Cobra-USB Dongle or Downgrade) for all consoles (fat & slim).
1. Replace following files on your consoles /dev_flash/ with the ones included in this archive p3dwik-ps2compatfiles.rar
2. Get into Factory Service Mode (FSM Tool/Dongle)
3. Insert your Original PS2 Game Disc
4. It will run.
Note: Backups won't work. You're getting the compatibility of the 2.60 software emulator with all of its bugs.
A possible compatibility lists:
PS2 Compat. flag
All consoles have hardware information. In GameOS you can call Lv2 Syscall 393 (0x189) sys_sm_get_model to get your consoles information. In Lv1/Hypervisor its in the repository nodes sc 0x5B lv1_get_repository_node with Parameters "sys","hw","config" usually noded as "sys.hw.config#0" or something.
20 00 00 00 FF FF FE FF <--> a backwards compatible console
4E 00 FF FF 0A 03 BC 3C <--> on Hypervisor Page
4E 00 FF FF 01 07 BC BF <--> CECHJ04
Hi I just make a debug app that use some syscalls to do a reset into PS2 Lpar like boot_ps2 does, it should work on dex 4.11 or 4.20 but in these fw there is ps2 netemu instead of softemu so i need someone with an original disc of playstation 2 inserted on bd-drive and launch this test app and see what happens.
I am on 4.11 DEX but i don't have any original disc from PS2... This is basically the same thing that boot_ps2 does on 3.55 but there is a new emu file on dex 4.11 or 4.20 introduced on 3.70 with the use of PS2 Classics on PSN... This is not brick-risk, thanks to anyone who help me with this. Greetings...
1st - Download the file
2nd - Copy the file PS2 Evo v1.0.pkg to the root of a USB drive formated in FAT32
3rd - Install the .pkg from *Install Package Files*
4th - Insert a original PS2 disk on the BD
5th - Run the app and enjoy
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
Hmm, I tried the Multiman method, installed both the PS2 Classics Placeholder package (17MB, shows PS2 placeholder app on XMB and installs game\PSU10000 folder) and the PS2 Classics Placeholder R2 package (153kb). Then I created a folder for one of my working rips (PS2ISO\[SLUS-20069] The Bouncer), and ftped the ISO.BIN.ENC over to here.
The Bouncer shows up in Multiman, downloads the cover, but when I run it it just goes to XMB. I ftped it to the PS2 Placeholder XMB's folder (game\PSU10000), and it runs fine from XMB. Why not Multiman? Anyone else get this to work? It would be so convenient to load up my rips and play them alongside everything else.
Okay, I've figured it out. The one rip I can't get to work is FF12 International Zodiac Job, because it's already patched with the fan translation pack which must alter something.
Anyway, you only need the PS2 Classics Placeholder R2 package (153kb) and mM 4.30.
1. Install PS2 CPR2 package and update mM to 430.
2. Whichever method you prefer (via ftp client or mM file manager), on the PS3 create subfolders for each PS2 ISO. Name them [gameid] gamename, ie. PS2ISO\[SLUS-20069] The Bouncer.
3. Using PS2ClassicsGUI (I used 1.4), place your 2P0001-PS2U10000_00-0000111122223333.rap (or whicever RAP you use to encrypt ISO) file into ..tools\scetool\raps.
4. In PS2ClassicsGUI, hit the Encrypt tab, open your iso rip with the black folder icon, and copy/paste or type the name of the RAP into the Content ID field (ie. 2P0001-PS2U10000_00-0000111122223333). The Klicensee field should automatically populate with the hex code pulled from the RAP you copied in the aforementioned raps folder. In this example, for the generic PS2 placeholder example, the klicensee code is E4E54FD67C16C316F47829A30484D843.
5. Click the Add LIMG Sector button (if available), say yes, then the bottom Encrypt button, say yes.
6. The newly generated ISO.BIN.ENC will be in the ..tools\ folder. Take that and copy/FTP it over to your PS3 into the PS2ISO folder you created (example PS2ISO\[SLUS-20069] The Bouncer\ISO.BIN.ENC).
7. In mM, under the Retro column, hit Refresh. If you named your folder's game id correctly, mM will pull the cover automatically. The title will be exactly waht you named the folder, minus the game id part.
8. Hit x to run the game. mM will exit to XMB. (This is the part that confused me initially until I recognized the behavior)
9. Go to the PS2 Classics Placeholder icon, and hit x to start. Your game should load after a bit and a couple of resolution changes.
10. Play! No package creation required.
So basically, it's as easy as create your ISO.BIN.ENC and the corresponding game folder on the PS3, then copy the file over appropriately and enjoy. Hope this helps anyone else having issues. mM will pull the artwork and create the SAVEDATA files for you. Big thanks to CaptainCPS-X and of course DeanK for mM, and no thanks to Sony for removing PS2 emulation!
Playing Final Fantasy X International (JP) for the first time as I type this. Thanks again guys!