233w ago - OK, do you remember the OLD PS3 Backup Tool? I've updated it, and now you can successfully write mixed backups on your PS3.
The new method mixes not all parts like before, but only half. Doing so, the PS3 recognizes the backup and restore, not only the "Integral" part, but even the part (50%) you added.
So the new formula is:
archive.dat + archive_XX.dat = INJECTOR
archive2.dat + archive2_XX.dat = DATA TO WRITE
You need the INJECTOR to begin the Write process. If you don't add Archive2.dat to your backup the PS3 writes the INJECTOR only. You need to create yourself the INJECTOR, in fact, it's unique for backups. If you have an old INJECTOR you can use it.
Here's a video demonstrating the process, with a guide below:
== HOW TO ==
1) Switch on your PS3
2) Go to Settings -> System Settings -> Backup
3) Connect a USB Drive or a Memory Stick to PS3
4) Select it in Backup utility
5) Make a Backup
6) Copy it to your Desktop
7) Delete backup from the USB Device or Memory Stick
8) Connect it to the PS3
9) Delete something in your PS3 (To make backup smaller)
10) Backup again and copy the 2nd backup to your desktop
11) Delete backup from the USB Device or Memory Stick
Now you have 2 different backups on your desktop.
1) Copy archive2.dat and archive2_00.dat from the bigger backup to the smaller one (see picture below).
2) Copy the Mixed (Bigger + Smaller) backup to a USB Drive or Memory Stick in:
(XXXXXXXXXXXX is the number of your backup)
3) Restore the Mixed backup from your PS3 (Go to Settings -> System Settings -> Backup -> Restore)
4) Once restore is complete, your PS3 has the files from the two Backup in HDD.
That means the PS3 writes files in the HDD, even if the backup is mixed with another. That can be useful in further hacking when you need to write a file in a directory, for example the Game directory.
100% Working (Giulio19992)
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
1st I want to say I'm impressed that you didn't give up and stuck with it.
Although I don't think this is going to get the result we want, you can never know for sure until you try.
When you posted this the last time, I realized you could mix up files from different backups but I didn't know you could mix backups from different consoles. that part is interesting.
So I try it and mixed a backup from a ps3 with 1 user(small backup) and a ps3 with 2 users. the backup did go to 100% but the hdd still had to rebuild the database. I'm not sure if it does that all the time when restoring a backup.
I ended up with all 3 users on the ps3. Videos and music copied over. I also had my ps3 game saves for the different users.
No ps2, ps1 saves or vmcs were copied. No game demos or game data including updates was copied The ps2 systemdata also didnt copy over.
I'll try a few more times to see if I can get anything else to copy over. Maybe download some BD-live content and see if that copys.
Guilio, have you been able to copy any game data or demos?
@longhornx, no. you can't just rename a .pkg to a backup file. that won't work but it would be interesting if we could restore .pkg that are already on the ps3 for people that cant get on PSN.