To quote: Due to FAT32 limitations users needed to run these games from internal hard drive only. However, it seems that isn't the only option anymore. Many games utilize a file format known as PSARC (*.psarc).
These files ending in .psarc are archive files similar to zip or rar files on PC. By extracting these large archive files and using the smaller files that are inside, users can get stay under the 4GB limit.
This method has been tested on Uncharted II, and will only work on games utilizing the psarc file format.
1) Download PSARC.zip PlayStation Archive Utility (or the PARC GUI v0.1 or the PARC GUI v0.2 update by TeamKidneyBean if you prefer).
2) Extract zlib.net.dll and PSARC.exe to any folder.
3) Find any files more than 4Gb for example /PS3_GAME/USRDIR/build/main/pak22.psarc (5,596,444,529 bytes)
4) Copy pak22.psarc into zlib.net.dll and PSARC.exe directory.
5) Extract pak22.psarc (just drag-n-drop pak22.psarc to PSARC.exe)
6) Now copy pak22 folder with extracted files to gamefolder /PS3_GAME/USRDIR/build/main
7) Now you can delete pak22.psarc.
8) Copy PS3_GAME folder with game to your external fat32 usb hdd GAMEZ/Uncharted2/
9) Use Backup Manager to load game, should work fine.
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
it worked for me did you place all the files that were in it instead of the complete file in were you deleted the main psarc file as i tryd it that way and got the same result so i just dragged all the internal ones into there.
don't work, to much fluffing around after so many hours bad result. i tried doing uncharted 2, the program crashed with some problem, than i did it again extracted put the file where had to be and deleted the one over 4gb. game loaded it start i climb the frigging train as the train about to fall there no mountain to jump on to, so my man drake keeps dieing and theres nothing he can do he just keeps dying because there's no platform to jump to lol!
I'd be curious to see if it's possible to swap the videos from the 360 version of FFXIII to the PS3 version. Of course that would require the PS3 to have the right codecs and use the same file formats.
Another possibility might be if the PSARC format supported file splitting, or if it auto-searched all archives for the files it needed, then creating your own