150w ago - Today the MC68000/Z80 arcade emulator for PlayStation 3 has been updated to FBANext PS3 Custom Build v2 (Wonderpatch) FIXED r417 and now supports Firmware 1.92 and 3.41 for PS3 JailBreak users and GeoHot Custom Firmware 3.55 as well, followed by r22 with a PARAM.SFO fix and r422 Custom v1 which adds a 1.92 PKG fix and triple buffering.
Below are the changes, to quote from the list: FBANext PS3 - Custom build v2 - FIXED - r417
CHANGES (as of r417):
Resolution switching in Settings menu - select resolution with left and right on D-pad and press X to switch to the resolution.
Much better framerate due to audio tweaking - now stays within the 59.900 ballpark and beyond instead of hovering somewhere between 59.200 and 59.900.
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
To quote: Introduction - Welcome to the official guide and documentation for FB Alpha Retro Loader!
Before you begin, get comfortable, sit back and chill, because if you like arcade games & PlayStation 3, later on you will be having lots of fun!
In here you will find everything you need to know, so you can enjoy playing your favorite arcade games on your PlayStation 3 system. And not just that!, you will even find out how to enter their "Diagnostics" or "Test" menu, so you can change settings such as "Difficulty", "Free Play Mode", "Enable Blood", "Region Change" and more!
Please, do not throw away this opportunity and take a moment to read this guide. I guarantee that it will make your game experience a lot better!
These are the emulated arcade systems:
Data East DEC-0, DEC-8 and DECO IC16 based games
Galaxian based hardware
Irem M62, M63, M72, M90 and M92 hardware
Pacman based hardware
Psikyo 68EC020 and SH-2 based hardware
Sega System 1, System 16 (and similar), System 18, X-Board and Y-Board
Taito F2, X, Z and others
Miscellaneous drivers for lots of other hardware
Released: September, 22, 2013
ChangeLog: v1.02a FB Alpha RL
1.03 (September 22, 2013)
- Signed for CFW 3.4X / 4.XX and tested on
- Rebug 4.46 REX / CEX
- MiraLaTijera 4.40 (3.2.0)
- Added version and IP address display on the Main Menu.
- Whole new theme for this release of FB Alpha.
- Added Iris Manager (official) to the Main Menu load options.
- Added proper "Preview" image aspect ratio calculation.
- Incorporated RetroArch and FBA libretro source code into FB Alpha RL Git, and with just one makefile everything is built.
To clean (all cores):
- Ported my custom mods to the latest RetroArch Core v0.9.9.6.
- (O) is the new "Game List" button to return to "Main Menu".
- Added shadow effect to all rendered text, in preparation
for future "Custom Theme" feature.
- Fixed a problem with CPS-3 External / Stereo sound on libretro, now it sounds great
- [src] Source code has been greatly re-organized.
- [src] "miniz.cpp" ZIP library is used the "proper" way, so now I can use its modules everywhere I need.
- [src] "burn_drivers.h" was renamed as "burn_drivers.cpp" and is now compiled, allowing access to its data everywhere I need.
- Added support for Neo-Geo UNI-BIOS (need to be present in neogeo.zip).
FBARL will look from latest (uni-bios_3_0.rom) to oldest BIOS (uni-bios_1_0.rom) in "neogeo.zip", of course if you don't have any of those the game will be loaded with regular BIOS.
- Added check for file existence on game selection, if the game listed is not found for some reason, like for example, if you disconnected the USB with the games, it will prompt you with a message to re-scan. The system will not lock / freeze anymore.
- Added check for fb_alpha.SELF core existence on game selection, if for some reason you don't have it or can't access, the application will let you know and prompt you to re-install it.
- Fixed libretro core default inputs for Neo-Geo and Capcom fighting games, now they are correctly assigned.
- Fixed the Save Custom Inputs feature on RetroArch core, now it will not include the annoying "example" text, it will use the currently loaded name, so you can save quickly and continue playing.
- Added FTP support.
- Using latest FB Alpha v0.2.97.30 source, adapted to compile as libretro (romset is synched with MAME v149).
- Doesn't include all "optimizations" from recent libretro Git, since some of them cause some problems with a few games.
Enabling Neo-Geo Universe Bios (Uni-Bios)
Enabling the option will load Neo-Geo games with these BIOS instead of the standard ones. You must make sure to have the proper "neogeo.zip" from MAME v0.149 romset.
What's the difference you might ask? Everything!, Uni-Bios allow you to do so many things, for example:
Choose System Region (USA, JAPAN, EURO)
Choose Console type (ARCADE / CONSOLE)
Enable game cheats for every game! on the fly!
SFX / BGM Jukebox
Neo-Geo Universe Bios (Uni-Bios) as described at the official Web site:
The UNIVERSE BIOS is for owners of MVS or AES hardware that want an easy way to change country region or between Arcade or Console mode on boot. Also included are other features that are not possible using the standard MVS bios.
The UNIVERSE BIOS is also designed to give easy access to things like inserting coins, test mode and memory card management when using the joystick ports only. Of course the BIOS still allows standard operation too.
F.A.Q - Frequently Asked Questions
Please, before asking any question or reporting a problem, take a moment to read these.
Q - What Custom Firmware (CFW) do I need to have to use FB Alpha RL?
A - Latest release has been signed to work on most CFWs, it has been tested on Rebug REX 4.46 (CEX) and MiraLaTijera CFW 4.46 (Core 3.2.0).
Q - Can I just install the "UPD", or I really need the "BASE" and why?
A - The "BASE" installation is mandatory, it contains all the files, resources and data required by FB Alpha RL to work, the "UPD" package only contains the program or SELF / BIN files (and maybe other extra update data / resources). If you don't do this, don't come asking me why some feature is not working or if you get any other error.
Q - When I try to launch FB Alpha RL from XMB, it kicks me back, why?
A - This is a common problem with homebrews, if this happens to you, post back with detailed information of your PS3 Model and CFW, including if its a CEX or DEX CFW.
Q - When launching a game RetroArch comes up with an error, what happened?
A - Probably you have an incorrect romset or in case of Neo-Geo or PGM, you must make sure to have the BIOS placed in the same directory where the ROMs are located.
Q - Where can I find the proper ROMs / romsets?
A - I cannot help you directly, but Google can.
Q - Some games have bad graphics or eventually lock up my console, why?
A - This happens because not all game drivers have been ported or updated to work on the PS3 system processor architecture. If you find such games, PM me the specific name and romset, I will be working on a compatibility list sooner or later.
This project wouldn't exist if it weren't for all these great people:
My buddies Treble Winner (Barry), Kev (tmaul) & iq_132 (current FB Alpha Team