113w ago - Today the next wave of PS3 dongles has started, enter the Cobra USB from Max Louarn of Divineo / Supreme Factory, which features the ability to run Blu-ray, DVD and PS1 game iSOs and PSP Mini games from the PlayStation 3 hard drive.
The PS3 USB device is slated for release on April 11 and currently requires v3.41 PS3 Firmware, however, it can downgrade from PlayStation 3 Firmware v3.50 with the related PDF guides and files available HERE.
From their official site linked above, to quote:
Cobra USB - The Ultimate PS3 USB solution features:
• ** Blu Ray Movie region free functionality
• ** Allows you to play Blu Ray movie ISO's from HDD
• ** Allows you to play DVD movie ISO's from HDD
• ** Integrated support to play PS1 game ISO's from HDD
• ** Integrated support to play PSP mini games from HDD
• ** Enjoy PS3 games with files >4GB on external USB HDD
• Supports FAT and SLIM PS3 consoles any region
• Supports versions up to 3.50 (console must be running 3.41)
• Play PS3 games from internal HDD
• MCU firmware and flash firmware updatable using easy to use free PC updater
• First class customer support and free regular firmware upgrades
• No need to open your console, just plug and play
• High quality components and materials used throughout
• Unique and built from scratch Cobra USB manager featuring slick U.I. and customized options with easy navigation
• Actel based encryption engine onboard to prevent device cloning
• Fast onboard 2 Mbyte SPI flash for firmware storage
• High quality onboard MCU
• Easy mode selection via switch (PC update, PS3 downgrader, regular PS3 device mode)
• Downgrader functionality included free of charge, allowing users to upgrade firmware to and from 3.41 at will
• Multi lingual user interface (English, Spanish and French as standard with more languages to be supported later)
** = World's first implementation
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
Below is a mmCM (multiMAN Cobra Manager) v04.00.01 Base (20120126) update for those with the dongle, with the changes outlined as follows:
26 - 01 - 2012
Added new display mode (Board 5x4x5), replacing the oldest "Game list (plain)" mode
"Board" display mode shows ICON0.PNG game images by default. You can use covers by changing the option "XMMB Icon Swap" in Settings
Improved File Manager visuals when used in SD resolution (480p/576p)
Fixed an issue, which prevented operation on CFW/MFW 3.41
Added support for showing PSN titles in all display modes from internal/external HDD (PSN titles cannot be loaded and you have to put empty RELOAD.SELF in game's USRDIR folder to make it show!) (requested)
Added lastGAME2 and bdRESET applications
Added 11 new themes to the theme download section (total of 14 now)
Updated 15 language files
Added separate background images for Board and XBDM display modes (PSVBG.JPG and XBDBG.JPG)
Updated mmCM Original Theme (includes new images PSVBG.JPG, XBDBG.JPG, PBOX0.PNG, PBOX1.PNG)
Preparations to support loading of network PS3, DVD and Blu-ray ISO files
Preparations to support firmware version spoofer (auto-spoofing to latest official FW or to user-defined fixed version)
Required Cobra USB update will be announced when network ISO and firmware spoof support is available
Q: So what's the advantage of lastGAME2 over the original LastGame app?
A: There are 3 versions actually:
1) The original lastGAME works with mM 01.13.* - 02.09.02.
2) lastGAME2 works with mM 04.00.00+.
3) lastGAME2 for CobraUSB works with ISOs (DVD/PSX/PS1/PS2/PSP/PS3/BD-movies), too.