142w ago - Today the next wave of PS3 dongles has started, enter the Cobra USB from Max Louarn of Divineo / Supreme Factory, which features the ability to run Blu-ray, DVD and PS1 game iSOs and PSP Mini games from the PlayStation 3 hard drive.
The PS3 USB device is slated for release on April 11 and currently requires v3.41 PS3 Firmware, however, it can downgrade from PlayStation 3 Firmware v3.50 with the related PDF guides and files available HERE.
From their official site linked above, to quote:
Cobra USB - The Ultimate PS3 USB solution features:
• ** Blu Ray Movie region free functionality
• ** Allows you to play Blu Ray movie ISO's from HDD
• ** Allows you to play DVD movie ISO's from HDD
• ** Integrated support to play PS1 game ISO's from HDD
• ** Integrated support to play PSP mini games from HDD
• ** Enjoy PS3 games with files >4GB on external USB HDD
• Supports FAT and SLIM PS3 consoles any region
• Supports versions up to 3.50 (console must be running 3.41)
• Play PS3 games from internal HDD
• MCU firmware and flash firmware updatable using easy to use free PC updater
• First class customer support and free regular firmware upgrades
• No need to open your console, just plug and play
• High quality components and materials used throughout
• Unique and built from scratch Cobra USB manager featuring slick U.I. and customized options with easy navigation
• Actel based encryption engine onboard to prevent device cloning
• Fast onboard 2 Mbyte SPI flash for firmware storage
• High quality onboard MCU
• Easy mode selection via switch (PC update, PS3 downgrader, regular PS3 device mode)
• Downgrader functionality included free of charge, allowing users to upgrade firmware to and from 3.41 at will
• Multi lingual user interface (English, Spanish and French as standard with more languages to be supported later)
** = World's first implementation
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
you've got to admit, with the new rebug REx Fw and a ps3 with target id set to 82 , Multiman 04.10.00 just completes a holy trinity and makes the ps3 the best modded console there has ever been.
total freedom to move up, down and even across to cex and back to dex all at the push of a button, and multiman has a way to get any game working you can throw at it.
multiman 04.10.00 has to be the best homebrew ever written, and to totally get the most out of a wide variety and choice of cfw. ps1 disc backups when used wuth rebug rex in dex mode, now thats got to be a tempter for anyone. no dongle required.
wonder if ps2 backups might come later ? (doubtful, but you got to always want more than you got lol)
Following up on the Rebug 3.55.3 / 4.21.1 PS3 CFW REX Editions, this weekend PlayStation 3 developer deank has updated multiMAN to v04.10.00 which includes PS3 Rebug (REX) support alongside the changes outlined below.
Added full support for 4.21REX (REBUG) firmware
Added support for 4.21REX in DEX full mode (DEX flash + DEX lv2 kernel)
Added support for PS1 disc backups for 4.21REX CFW in DEX/DEX mode
Added support for direct-disc-access for 4.21REX CFW in DEX/DEX mode (data CD/DVD/BD discs)
Added support for flashing 256MB NAND *.EID0.NANDBIN backups
Users with broken BD drives can use 4.21REX in DEX mode with fake BDEMU stick/image for 100% game compatibility
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you're using DEX mode in 4.21REX, use this CEX version of mM (do not install the reguar DEX mM which is only for official dex firmwares).
It is to help users with broken BD-ROM drives (which have a working logic board and married to the PS3). A lot of games have issues when started from /app_home or using "Direct Boot", that's why this is the BEST solution for such users. You will have to be on 4.21CFW REBUG (REX) with DEX Target ID flash and DEX LV2 Kernel (full DEX MODE).
From the ReadMe file: If you do not want to waste a whole USB HDD you can use a small 512MB USB STICK to emulate your broken BD-ROM.
PC and PS3
USB stick/drive (512MB minimum size)
Disc Image Generator Software (ps3gen)
PLAYSTATION3.iso Dummy BDEMU image
4.21CFW REBUG (REX) operating in DEX mode with DEX lv2_kernel (FULL DEX MODE)
Connect a USB HDD to be used for BDEMU
Start "Disc Image Generator for Playstation3" (ps3gen)
Click "Show" button in the top right-hand corner
Click "Select File..." button
Locate and select "PLAYSTATION3.iso" provided in this archive
Click "Save / Emu ..." button
Select "Write Image to BD Emulator HDD"
Select your BDEMU USB HDD
Pick a slot from the list and click "Write Image"
On your PS3 with 4.21REX CFW and multiMAN 04.10.00 installed:
Install "Rebug Toolbox 02.00.00" and launch it
In SELECTOR: REBUG MODE / DEBUG XMB / DEBUG MENU
In DEX/CEX: Flash your DEX EID0 NOR/NAND file (DEX-FLASH.EID0.NORBIN or DEX-FLASH.EID0.NANDBIN file on /dev_usb000 stick)
Quit Toolbox and reboot your PS3
In XMB "Settings" go to "Debug Settings" and set "Blu-ray Disc Access" option to "BD Emulator (USB)"
Turn off your PS3
Connect the BDEMU USB HDD drive/stick to the right-most port (/dev_usb000) - the port closest to the BD-ROM drive
Turn on your PS3
You should see "PLAYSTATION(R)3" Game Disc mounted in XMB Game column
Start multiMAN 04.10.00+, load a game from internal HDD or external USB HDD connected to another port. Do not unplug the BDEMU USB drive.
Start your game from the Disc Icon in XMB.
Done. In the pictures below you can see how it looks when you boot your PS3 with the dummy disc game, if you start it and if you mount a game with mM (Assassin's Creed III used as example) and check XMB