113w ago - Today the next wave of PS3 dongles has started, enter the Cobra USB from Max Louarn of Divineo / Supreme Factory, which features the ability to run Blu-ray, DVD and PS1 game iSOs and PSP Mini games from the PlayStation 3 hard drive.
The PS3 USB device is slated for release on April 11 and currently requires v3.41 PS3 Firmware, however, it can downgrade from PlayStation 3 Firmware v3.50 with the related PDF guides and files available HERE.
From their official site linked above, to quote:
Cobra USB - The Ultimate PS3 USB solution features:
• ** Blu Ray Movie region free functionality
• ** Allows you to play Blu Ray movie ISO's from HDD
• ** Allows you to play DVD movie ISO's from HDD
• ** Integrated support to play PS1 game ISO's from HDD
• ** Integrated support to play PSP mini games from HDD
• ** Enjoy PS3 games with files >4GB on external USB HDD
• Supports FAT and SLIM PS3 consoles any region
• Supports versions up to 3.50 (console must be running 3.41)
• Play PS3 games from internal HDD
• MCU firmware and flash firmware updatable using easy to use free PC updater
• First class customer support and free regular firmware upgrades
• No need to open your console, just plug and play
• High quality components and materials used throughout
• Unique and built from scratch Cobra USB manager featuring slick U.I. and customized options with easy navigation
• Actel based encryption engine onboard to prevent device cloning
• Fast onboard 2 Mbyte SPI flash for firmware storage
• High quality onboard MCU
• Easy mode selection via switch (PC update, PS3 downgrader, regular PS3 device mode)
• Downgrader functionality included free of charge, allowing users to upgrade firmware to and from 3.41 at will
• Multi lingual user interface (English, Spanish and French as standard with more languages to be supported later)
** = World's first implementation
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
Hi, if someone can slap me about the head and tell me where I'm going wrong I would be grateful. I have placeholder installed and latest MM but when I select a PS2 game and then try to load using placeholder I just keep getting "The copyright protection information is invalid (80029513)".
Hmm, I tried the Multiman method, installed both the PS2 Classics Placeholder package (17MB, shows PS2 placeholder app on XMB and installs game\PSU10000 folder) and the PS2 Classics Placeholder R2 package (153kb). Then I created a folder for one of my working rips (PS2ISO\[SLUS-20069] The Bouncer), and ftped the ISO.BIN.ENC over to here.
The Bouncer shows up in Multiman, downloads the cover, but when I run it it just goes to XMB. I ftped it to the PS2 Placeholder XMB's folder (game\PSU10000), and it runs fine from XMB. Why not Multiman? Anyone else get this to work? It would be so convenient to load up my rips and play them alongside everything else.
Okay, I've figured it out. The one rip I can't get to work is FF12 International Zodiac Job, because it's already patched with the fan translation pack which must alter something.
Anyway, you only need the PS2 Classics Placeholder R2 package (153kb) and mM 4.30.
1. Install PS2 CPR2 package and update mM to 430.
2. Whichever method you prefer (via ftp client or mM file manager), on the PS3 create subfolders for each PS2 ISO. Name them [gameid] gamename, ie. PS2ISO\[SLUS-20069] The Bouncer.
3. Using PS2ClassicsGUI (I used 1.4), place your 2P0001-PS2U10000_00-0000111122223333.rap (or whicever RAP you use to encrypt ISO) file into ..tools\scetool\raps.
4. In PS2ClassicsGUI, hit the Encrypt tab, open your iso rip with the black folder icon, and copy/paste or type the name of the RAP into the Content ID field (ie. 2P0001-PS2U10000_00-0000111122223333). The Klicensee field should automatically populate with the hex code pulled from the RAP you copied in the aforementioned raps folder. In this example, for the generic PS2 placeholder example, the klicensee code is E4E54FD67C16C316F47829A30484D843.
5. Click the Add LIMG Sector button (if available), say yes, then the bottom Encrypt button, say yes.
6. The newly generated ISO.BIN.ENC will be in the ..tools\ folder. Take that and copy/FTP it over to your PS3 into the PS2ISO folder you created (example PS2ISO\[SLUS-20069] The Bouncer\ISO.BIN.ENC).
7. In mM, under the Retro column, hit Refresh. If you named your folder's game id correctly, mM will pull the cover automatically. The title will be exactly waht you named the folder, minus the game id part.
8. Hit x to run the game. mM will exit to XMB. (This is the part that confused me initially until I recognized the behavior)
9. Go to the PS2 Classics Placeholder icon, and hit x to start. Your game should load after a bit and a couple of resolution changes.
10. Play! No package creation required.
So basically, it's as easy as create your ISO.BIN.ENC and the corresponding game folder on the PS3, then copy the file over appropriately and enjoy. Hope this helps anyone else having issues. mM will pull the artwork and create the SAVEDATA files for you. Big thanks to CaptainCPS-X and of course DeanK for mM, and no thanks to Sony for removing PS2 emulation!
Playing Final Fantasy X International (JP) for the first time as I type this. Thanks again guys!