To quote: Personally I haven't tried this yet, but it seems promising... This comes from an anonymous fellow who is reporting success on connecting to PSN using PS3 Custom Firmware 3.55 by Kmeaw. So install that first and then follow these steps.
The following assumes you're technically inclined and/or very resourceful, i.e. you know how to use Google. You'll likely need to reference Google when it comes to generating/signing a certificate and creating a CA (certification authority). That said lets get started; here we're using a combination of two tactics:
1. DNS server trick: Set Primary DNS to 18.104.22.168 under Network Settings
2. Simple SSL proxy that basically modifies the headers for outgoing packets to auth.np.ac.playstation.net's to change "PS3 03.55″ to "PS3 03.56″ – this makes PSN believe the PS3 is using the proper firmware version
Got it? Now here is how we accomplish tactic #2:
1. Replacing a SSL cert in the CFW (in /dev_flash/data/cert) with your own CA SSL certificate
2. Creating an SSL certificate for "auth.np.ac.playstation.net" signed with your CA certificate
3. Run a DNS server on your machine that resolves auth.np.ac.playstation.net to your PC's internal IP
4. Create a Java SSL proxy (basically PS3 <-> PC <-> PSN). The PC claims (to the PS3) that it is "auth.np.ac.playstation.net" and is successfully accepted because a CA signed the SSL certificate
5. Replace the headers sent PS3 -> PSN to specify "PS3 03.56″
ChrisTechTV (if it works) they'll need you for this one man!
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Update: Looks like it works... Here is video proof:
And no, this isn't a video tutorial. Wait for that.
You need Charles and my attached .zip file (PS3DNS v3.2) and then just follow this guide, it shouldn't take you any longer than 15 minutes :-).
1. Install the Charles certificate on your PS3
1. Make a copy of charles-proxy-ssl-proxying-certificate.crt (C:Program FilesCharlesdoc) and rename it to CA24.cer (Win7 users will have to enable "show file extensions")
2. Copy the included .pkg file (AsbestOS) AND the above CA24.cer to your USB drive
3. Install the pkg file on the PS3 as you would any other package and then run the AsbestOS Installer. The installer will take a while (5 mins+ for me) and it WILL fail, it's fine. (if it doesn't work for you use FreeFlash)
4. Open your favorite file manager and copy the CA24.cer to /dev_rwflash/data/cert (remember to make a backup of the original!)
5. Reboot your PS3.
2. Setting up Charles
1. Download and install Charles
2. Replace the included charles.config to your profiles app-data path. For Windows 7 it is C:UsersxxxxAppDataRoamingCharles and for Windows XP it will be C: Documents and SettingsUser(Local?) Application DataCharles or C:Program FilesCharles - if the file isn't in these paths then do a search for it.
3. Start Charles.
3. Setup your DNS/Update List
1. Open PS3DNS.exe included in the zip file, select your IP - I have developed this program my self, it's basically a DNS server and the source is attached if you wish to compile for your self.
2. Set the PS3's PRIMARY DNS server to your PC's IP address
3. Set the PS3's SECONDARY DNS server to your actual DNS server (e.g. router)
4. Copy the ps3-updatelist.txt to the root of your C: drive - my file is for UK you will have to change the Dest=87 to another number as defined here: http://ps3dev.wikispaces.com/Target+ID AND the CDN= prefix, so duk01 becomes dus01 for US.
Target Name / ID / TLD
Reference Tool / 81 / ???
Debugging Station / 82 / ???
Japan / 83 / JP
United States / 84 / US
Europe / 85 / EU
Korea / 86 / KR
United Kingdom / 87 / UK
Mexico / 88 / MX
Australian/New Zealand / 89 / AU
South Asia / 8A / SA
Taiwan / 8B / TW
Russia / 8C / RU
China / 8D / CN
4. Reboot your PS3 and then login to PSN - enjoy!
My PS3 is still asking to update
Make sure you have put the ps3-updatelist.txt in C: and have edited as in step 3.4. Double check Charles and make sure it's serving your local file and not Sony's.
I'm getting DNS errors
Make sure PS3DNS has your PCs correct IP address and your PS3s secondary DNS is your router. Try setting your secondary DNS to 22.214.171.124 (Google).
Charles is giving me Address Already in Use: JVM_Bind
Make sure you have no web server running on port 80/443, Skype also seems to be an issue so if its open, close it! Run a netstat -ano | findstr 80 to see what process ID is using these ports.
Notes: you do NOT need to set the proxy option on the PS3. you can close Charles after you have signed in you MUST keep open PS3DNS.exe my progam requires .NET 3.5
Finally, below is another simple guide from GamerX5500, to quote: Picture Tutorial:
1. Install "Charles" from CharlesProxy.com to the default installation location (usually "C:\Program Files\Charles)
2. Enter your Country Code:
3. Press "Guide" and walk through the steps.
4. Press "Install Files" button.
5. Press "Validate Installation" button. If you receive an error, press the button again and go through the questions, making sure you have the correct region selected.
6. Now that you've performed all these steps, you may now adjust the settings on your PlayStation 3 System. Turn on your PlayStation 3 System and install the PKG files you have downloaded (asbestOS_v1.5.pkg, and lv2.pkg).
7. Run the "LV2 Patcher" application first.
8. Run asbestOS.
9. Wait until you see something similar to this, or when it asks you to press [X] to quit.
10. Run multiMAN.
11. While in multiMAN, press START+SELECT to get to this screen. Then, find "dev_rwflash" and press [X].
12. Press "data".
13. Press "cert".
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
What would suck is that I've avoided online AT ALL costs ever since I started using CFW. Just because I wanted to be a good guy. :P.. Haha, I just want to jump online for that new PSN game I just bought, but it's being a PITA!
It was working fine before... but like I restarted Charles and Ubuntu, and not sure WHAT the hell happened. But now it's not working, I keep getting that constant "Must update, yadda yadda" screen. Thing is, I'm still using the SAME updatelist.
I just hope the constant 'checking' to see if I can login to PSN. Doesn't get logged with all tons of crap that I've been trying to test to get it working.
You are totally right, cheaters will always exist but before they didn't really effect you too much but now with CFW and the in game hacks that go with it (MW2), they can literally ruin you game and your stats. I dread to think about what some previous posts have said about being able to access credit card details (they can't! its just a thought).
I also agree that when linux was here before there were no hacks but still cheaters but it was all legit back then, now you just have people jumping on the we hate $ony for taking away linux bandwagon. I'm all for you to have CFW and homebrew but I also believe that $ony should be laying the banhammer on the console to keep it away from the PSN. Treyarch have down the right thing but $ony should be doing it at the source.