142w ago - This weekend PlayStation 3 hacker Graf Chokolo has disabled the PS3 internal HDD encryption, opening the door to possibilities such as dual-boot PS3 Firmware and using the decrypted PS3 HDD in another console.
To quote: Even without having a PS3 to work with, graf_chokolo is really active in distributing updates and fixes to his PS3 Linux gits. The latest one comes with an interesting update as you can see from his post below. Maybe one step further to a dual boot PS3 FW?
Guys, take a look at "ps3dm_sm set_del_def_encdec_key" command. You can disable/enable virtual FLASH/internal HDD encryption with that And by patching HV process 9 (which sets ATA keys before loading GameOS) you can disable it permanently. It means you could swap your internal HDD and use it on another PS3. But you have to restore the content on it after disabling encryption because all data will be encrypted of course.
Soon i will implement ENCDEC device driver for PS3 Linux and you will be able to experiment with ATA encryption. ENCDEC device is responsible for VFLASH/HDD encryption on PS3.
For more details, see my HV page here: ps3devwiki.com/index.php?title=Hypervisor_Reverse_Engineering
linux hv scripts GIT repository: git://git.dukio.com/linux_hv_scripts.git
And thanks to PS3 Linux fans who help me to test my ps3dm-utils Huge thanks to you guys. I can have fun with PS3 even without having one actually
And thanks to Dukio for his support with this blog and GIT repository.
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
Some legal info from good old Germany, Graf still develops because:
1. If you break a security system here just for research, no real damage done to society or endanger it even if it is forbidden you just get slap on your fingers! Likely a fine like 20 days * 20 but it depends = 200€ but not too much that the criminal law (you can also convert it into jail time if you want). Our criminal law is to protect society mostly.
2. Is the private law with its compensation (for damages) and here it gets complicated the cased damage has to be directly casually linked to the person and action and here Sony has to prove it they also have to prove the amount of damage to be casual linked. And even if you succeed in doing so it is often restricted by the court to a certain level.
This casual and linked stuff is very strict here in Germany and I really doubt Sony can link him to many damage at all therefore they wanted his HDD’s I think Sony here demand’s the 1.000.000€ (I doubt they will get that much at all)
3. They also could try to establish kind of pre or contract between him and Sony (As far as I know that’s the way they use in the US I don’t know if it is mandatory) but this is nearly impossible by German law only if certain conditions are met (They are strict and plenty) and I haven’t noticed one.
4. And even if you win you only get the right to get your money if the persons has it (if not you will get a part of its wage every month until he paid) , here a certain amount of money is safe from Government and Law
5. About the seizure thing and if you allowed to rebuy e.g. a PS3 I don’t know it. I only know it for PC’s and you are allowed!
Recently Graf_Chokolo revealed that he is working on a PS3 3.55 HV CFW, which will have dual boot Linux built in.
To quote from Dukio: I plan to implement dual boot feature in HV, just like i did on my PS3 3.41, and you can boot with it either gameos or linux or some other system like freebsd. You won’t need any bootos on gameos for that. I will also patch HV and enable more features
I will do it on PS3 slim, first i will resize HDD and add a partition for Linux there
Expect more features coming in as the HV patching continues. Oh, and he is working on a 3.55 FW only at the moment, although on the newer firmware versions is possible according to graf.
Now for 3.55, on other version offsets are different so the code is the same but offsets to patch are different.
When ask about the progress of his lawsuit and if he requires more legal funds, graf_chokolo had to say this:
It's very slow, for now it’s enough i think, thanks.
I have no huge news yet regarding lawsuit but soon I think I will have.
Thank you for the info. But I'm still curious if Sony really flat out barred him from touching another PS3. How would they be able to track it? What if he just went over a friends house who happened to have a PS3, would they come busting in all guns blazing?