107w ago - Today PlayStation 3 hacker Geoffrey Levand (or at least someone using his name) has released a PS3 Dual Boot GameOS / Linux Custom Firmware (CFW) which allows the dual-booting of both GameOS and OtherOS.
Note: Currently to start OtherOS. boot_otheros.pkg then reboot.pkg and that will load petitboot. Slim users (Version 1.0-r0) you must unload the slim usb drivers in order to boot.
ps3mfw/tasks/patch_profile.tcl is to be considered unstable and should not be used at this time.
All tools beep twice if they succeed !!!
Source code for all tools and patches is freely available. Create your own dual boot. git.gitbrew.org/ps3/
• Into HV integrated OtherOS bootloader loader (compatible with OtherOS bootloader on 3.15)
• OtherOS bootloader is booted directly from HV, no GameOS is involved.
• Process of booting OtherOS bootloader loader is very similar to 3.15 method
• Booting Linux from HDD/USB/BD/Network
• Linux with GameOS rights
• Full access to all HV SS services (Dispatcher Manager) from GameOS or Linux
• Full access to all System Manager services
• Ability to create/modify/remove repository nodes in LPAR 1 (e.g. with ps3dm-utils or ps3hvc-utils). This ability gives you much power over the whole system because many layers of PS3 use repository nodes to exchange information.
• Enabled QA mode in Update Manager
• Downgrading without USB dongle or Service Mode
• Ability to deactivate/activate HDD/VFLASH encryption (e.g. with ps3stor-utils)
• Suuport for ps3-utils. You can flash new OtherOS bootloader from Linux e.g.
• Tested 3.41 and 3.55 on PS3 Slim with Gentoo and Debian Squeeze but should work on PS3 Fat without problems
• Bug reports are welcome, send it please to email@example.com
Work in progress:
• Creating OtherOS partitions directly on HDD (not VFLASH)
• Permanently disabling HDD/VFLASH encryption
• Mapping of HTAB with R/W permission
• SYSCON access from LPAR 2
• FreeBSD support
Installing OtherOS bootloader
• Tested ONLY on PS3 models with VFLASH
• During deleting of VFLASH regions GameOS will ask you to reinstall firmware, don't do it, just press PS3 button and continue
• I use petitboot as OtherOS bootloader. You could use a different one.
• The following order of steps is important
• Delete VFLASH region 6
• Delete VFLASH region 5
• Create VFLASH region 5
• Create VFLASH region 6
• Install OtherOS bootloader on VFLASH with "Install OtherOS"
Booting OtherOS bootloader
• Run "Boot OtherOS"
• Reboot GameOS with "Reboot"
Creating a VFLASH partition for Linux
• Works ONLY on PS3 models with VFLASH
• Warning: All your HDD data will be lost, so make a backup
• I'm currently working on a solution for PS3 models with NAND flash
• Resize VFLASH (creates a 40GB free space on VFLASH, if you need more then feel free to recompile it)
• Reboot GameOS
• Create VFLASH region 7
Installing Linux with petitboot
Installing Gentoo GNU/Linux from a Unix/Linux System
Partitioning with fdisk
• I used petitboot to install Debian and Gentoo on VFLASH
• I used fdisk to partition ps3vflashh
• Make sure you create a swap partition
• Creating a ready to use Linux distribution images is a work in progress
Booting Linux with petitboot
• USB driver in petitboot has problems on PS3 Slim. The problem lies in Linux USB driver.
• Currently i'm trying to fix this problem in Linux kernel
• I temporarily use my boot_linux.sh script to boot a Linux installed on VFLASH from petitboot
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
Amazing work! Not only do we have the ability to install Linux again, its outside GameOS with full hardware access. This is better than the feature Sony stole from me after I had purchased my PS3! Now we can compile, package, and sign directly on our PS3. And while in Linux we can directly download, no need to start up an FTP server and transfer from PC...
Quick question - How do I know if my system uses VFLASH or NAND? It appears that if my system has NAND then I will have to wait a little longer. I could have sworn I saw a VFLASH partition in one of the emulators (not near my PS3 right now) but I would like a more definitive way of knowing just to be sure. I have a launch 60GB PS3.
So Sony, after all the bad publicity, the attacks, the fact that people are still running what they want, Linux back on the PS3, the lawsuits, etc., was removing the OtherOS option from systems that were already sold worth it?
My PS3 will never connect to PSN again, and will never be able to play newer PS3 games, and I'm fine with that. It will now serve a different purpose in my living room. As a huge Sony supporter in the past (I did pay $600 dollars for this thing), I'm someone who has never pirated a game (knowing that I could easily), purchased over 60 games new (not used), and spent thousands of dollars on the PSN. Your actions have shown me you don't want my business anymore. OK with me, I'll take my money elsewhere.
for complete newcomers to the ps3 linux world, is there any guide that can go through this process step by step? i would love to know how to install the hombrew on to my ps3 to where i can play all these amazing emulators ex project 64, and atari especially with the recent other os++ update. thanks.