- Today PlayStation 3 developers Grimm
have released a PS3 Custom Firmware (CFW) Validator homebrew application for those seeking to check and validate the integrity of PS3 CFW / MFW PUP files downloaded from the Internet.
Download: [Register or Login to view links]
/ [Register or Login to view links]
/ [Register or Login to view links]
From the included ReadMe file, to quote: Custom Firmware Validator is a program designed mainly for veryfing downloaded or manually patched firmwares for PS3. This aplication compares checksums from the database with those which are being calculated on the currently open file.
If at least one would match, the following things will appear: the name of the firware and its short description, the option to show the list of additional functions and the option to visit the author's webpage, also one could copy a file onto USB with the proper directory stuctrure and its name (PS3, PSP, PSV).
Databases are external, written in the stardard XML and UTF-8 coded, so everyone can edit them and propose any possible corrections, what we encourage you to do.
We prepared three different bases for the program (the one for PS3 is loaded by default, but one can choose others from the option menu):
- The first one for PS3 (currently with all CFW/OFW (*.pup) and upadate packages *.pkg for Rebug and TB dongle).
- The other ones function as examples and need to be completed.
Please be advised: in order for Custom Firmware Validator to work properly Microsoft .NET Framework 4 at least ver. 4.0 is required. the program works on windows 7 - was not tested on XP, Vista or 8 (Developers/Consumers Preview).
- You cannot write to your console false/fake firmware. In first days of CFW on PS3, many linked higher OFW as CFW and some people have been screwed. ;] This application protect you from such situation.
- You cannot misleading one CFW with another, modified by someone else than author of CFW. This application gave you confidence that scan CFW is the release CFW, not modified by someone else.
- You can transfer OFW/CFW directly to your USB device. It even detect if fs is FAT32 but not only! Also detect if this FAT32 is on MBR (which is only one suppoert by PS3) or GPT and other not supported by PS3 table format.
- You can go to authors webpage if it's linked.
- You can take more user friendly information about scanned firmware (like properly working Trophy system, Cinavia DRM patched, protecting from ACT.DAT deleting etc.).
All of this in one simple app with (I hope) interesting user interface.
CFV (Custom Firmware Validator) support keyboard shortcuts:
- open file - ctrl+o
- exit app - ctrl+e
- fw info - ctrl+i
- fw transfer - ctrl+u
- web page - ctrl+w
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Do you plan to make databases updates?
A: Yes, but only the one for PS3. In this aspect we count on the community's involvement. ;]
Q: Do you plan to release program updates?
A: Sure, but it depends on whether the submitted errors could be verified and whether we have ideas for new functions.
Q: What checksums are generated and will you add new in the future?
A: CRC32 (CRC32b), MD5, SHA1, SHA2-224, SHA2-256, SHA2-386 and SHA2-512. In future, probably SHA3. Others not, for the time being.
Q: Can I use CFV in order to generate checksums from other files than consoles' firmware?
A: Yes, basically the source of no importance, because the program reads descriptions and checksums which can be freely edited and picked from the options menu.
Q: Is CFV legal?
A: Yes, it is, it doesn't contain any keys/hashes used to sign files.
Q: Could I modify my console using the program?