- Sony Senior Product Manager Adam Grant
is here with the full feature list for PS4 System Software / Firmware Update 1.70
which is now available below!
Download: [Register or Login to view links]
/ [Register or Login to view links]
/ [Register or Login to view links]
/ [Register or Login to view links]
To quote: At PlayStation, we love hearing the great feedback we get from our passionate community of gamers. That's why I'm excited to announce that our highly-anticipated system software update for PlayStation 4 (v1.70) will be released today, with a huge number of your demanded features, and expanding upon what we believe is the most socially connected console experience.
One feature that I'm most excited about is SHAREfactory, our new rich video editing app. In addition, we're launching updates for PlayStation Vita (v3.15) and PlayStation App (v1.70) that will deliver greater integration with your PS4 system.
Here's a rundown of what you can expect with today's software updates:
PlayStation 4 v1.70 update
• SHAREfactory: After you update your PS4 to v1.70, an icon to download our free SHAREfactory app will appear on your PS4 system's home screen once it's available. Once installed, SHAREfactory allows you to easily customize your gameplay videos with special effects, video commentary with picture-in-picture capability through PlayStation Camera, and custom soundtracks using the included audio tracks or your original music imported from a USB drive. You can then share your videos on Facebook or export them to an external USB storage device.
The app is packed with plenty of cool, but accessible, tools. It's simple enough to use for beginning editors, while functioning as a rich video editor for those with more creative aspirations. Check out our new SHAREfactory video above that provides a walkthrough of what you can expect:
• Automatic pre-download: You'll soon be able to start downloading select pre-ordered games from PlayStation Store. This new feature allows you to get to your games faster by automatically downloading select pre-ordered games up to several days in advance of the release, so that it's ready to play as soon as the game is released on launch day. There's also a countdown timer prior to the release of the game so you'll know how soon your game will be available for you to start playing.
• Option to disable HDCP for games: This highly requested feature will allow you to have the option to turn off HDCP for games so you can capture longer gameplay sessions directly from your HDMI output and export them elsewhere.
• USB export option for captured gameplay: It's now even easier to show off your heroic gaming moments and the SHAREfactory videos you create with the world using this feature to export your videos and screenshots to a USB drive. Just click on the DUALSHOCK 4 SHARE button, save your gameplay on a USB drive, and then share your proudest achievements on other social networks and other video platforms.
• Live broadcasting in HD and archiving support: We've increased the resolution for live broadcasts so you and your friends can watch games livestreamed in 720p HD. You can also archive your broadcasts on Twitch or Ustream and watch them again later.
• New SHARE options: We've got a number of new SHARE settings that will give you better control of what you want to share with your friends. Here is what you can look forward to:
- Change the default gameplay recording time in the SHARE menu under Video Clip Settings.
- Save only the video clips and screenshots you want by selecting Upload Screenshots or Upload Video Clips for each capture. Also upload video clips and screenshots during your live gameplay broadcasts.
- Select specific Facebook audiences to share each video or screenshot with.
• New DUALSHOCK 4 options: New light bar settings have been added for DUALSHOCK 4, allowing you to change it to Bright, Medium or Dim in the Settings menu. The touchpad has also been updated, allowing you to navigate the on-screen keyboard using the DUALSHOCK 4 touchpad.
• New Friends options: It's now easier to find Friends and send requests with the ability to search Friends-of-Friends, view Mutual Friends on another user's profile, and accept Friend requests directly from the Friends list.
• New Trophies sort option: You can now sort Trophies by rarity in the Options menu.
• PlayStation Store payment support: Similar to PS3, we're introducing Alternative Payment Methods (APMs) for PS4 for content purchased on PS Store, starting with PayPal support.
• More PlayStation Camera commands: More voice commands are added to PlayStation Camera, allowing you to launch the apps installed on your PS4 with the sound of your voice.
• New PlayStation Plus icon: For Plus members, you'll now have the PS Plus icon appear next to your SEN ID on the login screen, home screen and other areas across the PS4 system's sleek user interface.
• Music Unlimited SHARE options: With a Music Unlimited subscription, you can easily share your favorite songs with your friends by pressing the SHARE button on your DUALSHOCK 4.
PlayStation Vita v3.15 update
Download: PS Vita v3.15 Firmware Update
• PS4 Link update for Remote Play: Linking your PS4 and PS Vita together will now be easier with the 3.15 update for PS Vita. It'll enable Automatic Device Registration, which will automatically detect and pair both systems when they're both online and the same user is signed in to both devices. This makes it even quicker for you to get started on Remote Play or access other second screen features.
PlayStation App v1.70 Update
• Push notifications, friend requests and more: This new PlayStation app update will give you the option to receive Push Notifications for select PS4 updates you want to receive, such as gameplay Invitations, Game Alerts or Friend Requests.
• You can also receive Friend Requests via email or text messages with the app update. Also, it's now easier to change your profile picture right from your mobile device by uploading an image from your photo library, or taking a photo using your in-device camera.
We can't wait until the software updates are released so you can start enjoying all of these great features. In particular, I look forward to seeing your SHAREfactory videos and seeing all the creative ways you can make your gameplay moments memorable.
Let's keep the conversation going - we love getting feedback from you and seeing what else we can come up with to continue making PlayStation 4 the best place to play. Please let us know and we'll continue to always serve up great content and features to you - the gamer.
(via neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=110061619#post110061619) comes some more changes not present in the list above, including the ability to log in a second user with the same DualShock 4 controller as follows:
• Notifications: New notification type: From PlayStation.
• System: You can now log in with multiple users with a single DualShock 4 controller without logging out the others.
• System: The "What's New" menu now has timestamps.
• System: The log-in screen won't be displayed anymore when reconnecting the DS4.
• System: When a game crashes you can now choose to attach a video clip in the error report and send it to Sony.
• System: Added option to automatically send error reports to Sony.
• System: HDCP has to be enabled in order to watch Blu-Ray movies.
• System: Several options have been added to the Video Playback Settings menu.
• Settings - Audio: You can now force the PS4 to output 5.1 channel audio over HDMI even if it detects 7.1 channel support.
• Settings - Video: "Deep Color Output" added. It's possible to set it to "off" and "automatic".
• Share: It's now possible to upload multiple screenshots to Facebook at the same time.
• Streaming: Comments/viewers notifications added when you are in a full screen streaming.
• Streaming: You can now upload screenshots and video while broadcasting.
• Streaming: You can now view comments without having to switch streaming modes.
• Remote Play: The PS Vita won't fail to connect to your PS4 anymore if you have USB devices like keyboards or similar connected to it.
From [Register or Login to view links]
comes some more hidden features and changes of PlayStation 4 Firmware 1.70, to quote as follows:
Stepping away from the changes that we know about already, here's a quick list of some of the hidden features of the 1.70 update that we found while fiddling around with it this morning:
• The Virtual Keyboard has a new shortcut: hold L2 and press triangle to quickly switch to and from the symbols layout. Should make typing in my horrifically randomised password a little easier...
• Sony can now send you notifications "From PlayStation". If you wanted slightly shoutier adverts, you've got what you wished for.
• Turn off HDCP in Settings > System when you want to capture footage with an external device, but you'll have to turn it back on when you next want to watch a Blu-ray film or hop onto Netflix:
• There's some new Blu-ray management options under the Video Playback Settings. You can set a default Language, delete cached data and decide whether or not to let your films have internet access.
• There's a "Noise Reduction" setting that has been added as an option during playback.
• I've been told that you can force 5.1 audio over HDMI even if your amp is designed for 7.1.
• You can have the PS4 automatically dim the screen with the Start Screensaver setting under Sound and Screen:
• There's some fresh privacy options under PSN > Privacy Settings > Real Name and Profile Picture. If you let someone see your real name, this makes them a "Close Friend", and you can now decide if they see your real name in-game (which may then appear in saved videos and screenshots) and if their Close Friends can also see your real name and details.
• TV & Video apps can now be started by voice, and "Save video clip" and "Start video clip" have been added to the voice commands library.
Hidden behind the larger changes to the share functionality have been some slightly smaller ones:
• The little logo to head to your Capture Library from your profile page is now a camera and a slice of film, rather than a non-descript folder.
• The Capture Library also has a great big square all to itself on the main PDM menu.
• You can set the length of video clip that is automatically cached by the share system. It can be changed to 1, 3, 5, 10 or 15 minutes long - with 15 the default - in a setting that's under Share Settings > Video Clip Settings.
• Share Factory is a separate 942MB download. It's also utterly baffling to get started with, so you can check out the manual here.
• USB Export works with drives formatted in both FAT32 and exFAT, but not NTFS or HFS+. exFAT support is great because it supports files that are large than 4GB in size and larger hard drives than FAT32.
• Using the USB export feature, I've checked a few captured videos, and can say that the PS4 captures video at 720p with a bitrate that varies between 5Mbps and 9Mbps.
Now, while I can't do much broadcasting myself - my Internet connection is awful - there have apparently been changes to that system too, as revealed by the notes on the USB install download page:
• Screenshots and video clips will not be saved when you select Broadcast Gameplay in the menu for the Share feature. To save screenshots, select Upload Screenshot or press the Triangle button. To save video clips, select Upload Video Clip or press the Square button.
• You can now set the audience on Facebook for sharing your screenshots and video clips.
• Share Settings > Video Clip Settings > Indicate Blocked Scenes for Video Recording is now turned on by default.
• The screen layout for when you are broadcasting has been improved.
• Stop Broadcasting is now under Broadcast Settings.
• You can now submit a grief report about an inappropriate profile picture or broadcast.
Finally, from [Register or Login to view links]
, to quote: In addition to the changes listed above, multiple users are reporting that the whole operating system is now faster, especially on the PSN storefront, on the trophies screen, on the "What's New" section and during overall multitasking.
Finally, others are also mentioning that the bug that caused the "Share" button to record the wrong segment of footage has been corrected, and now it correctly records the latest fifteen minutes of gameplay.
One thing is for sure: firmware update 1.7 is definitely a very good step in the right direction for PS4. Hopefully the next one will include other popular requests like MP3 playback and online notifications from the friend list.
: For those who updated to PS4 1.7 Firmware and are getting trophy syncing and file corruption issues or black screen and flickering as seen below, here is the fix:
via reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/24dc4e/update_17_screen_flickering_issue_solution_inside/): The solution is simple: go into the system's Video Output settings and disable "Deep Color." Doing so should stop the screen from flickering, if you are affected by this problem.
If you found more stealthy changes feel free to add them in the comments below!